by Mark Carew and Sonny Lowe
"I would like to start off with mentioning that this awesome design has been the collaborative efforts of both myself as well as OpenBuilds member Sonny Lowe.
Sonny's volunteer work on this build has been a big part of helping to bring this great design to life so props go out to him for all of his help. Thank you Sonny " -Mark Carew
Hello friends. I would like to introduce you to an awesome new OpenBuilds machine we call the MiniMill!
- X Axis Travel 120mm - (4.5")
- Y Axis Travel 195mm - (7.5")
- Z Axis Travel 80mm - (3")
- Assembly time : 2-4 hr ~ or in about an afternoon
Video Build of the MiniMill
Jump in and when you complete this easy step by step build-along video you will have an awesome 3 Axis CNC Mini Mill for your Desktop
Build Video Link Sections
Click below for different chapters of the Video Build
STEP 1 - X Axis
STEP 2 - Y Axis
STEP 3 - Z Axis
STEP 3 - Frame
Please note: There are many different options for controller/driver packages that can be used to control your machine.
Here are a few to look at:
CNC xPRO Driver (All in one Controller/Driver)
Smoothie Board (All in one Controller/Driver)
CNCUSB (Controller only, will need drivers. We like these DQ542MA)
Software Work Flow:
NOTE: Be sure to check out all the cool CAM programs out there to take your machine to the next level!
- We use the free SketchUp Make for our CAD (makes the 3D model parts)
- We use the SketchUcam plugin/extension for our CAM (Works up the cut lines and makes the GCODE for the parts)
- We us GRBL Panel (latest release) for the controller (Allows you to control your machine and sends the GCODE to the machine) How to use GRBL Panel
Here are couple to look at to get you started Cut3D and MeshCAM as well as BobCAM
*If your looking to use a water cooled spindle be sure to check out the 3D printed reducer ring/spindle mount adapter created by Tyler Harley
Spindle Mount Adapter
*Companies that sell collets for the DeWalt 611 and Bosch Colt Routers that will accept 1/8" shaft bits
- OPEN SOURCE - The MiniMill machine is Open Source and the Builder community is encouraged to modify and build on this design.
- EASY TO BUILD - With the V-Slot Modular Framing System and OpenBuilds Build-Along Video, assembly is quick and easy.
- AFFORDABLE - OpenBuilds budget friendly parts allow Builders the opportunity to freely create.
- CUSTOMIZATION - Take it to the next level and make it your own! Share your builds with the Open Source Builders community OpenBuilds.com
Grab your Bundle Pack Today and Start Your Build!
- For your convenience and ease of purchase this Build is available as a Parts Bundle -
"The OpenBuilds Mini Mill is just plain cool." - Tool-Rank.com
This OpenBuilds Mini Mill is a great go-to desktop sized CNC milling plate / part maker and 3D carving machine!
- Build License:
- CC - Attribution - CC BY
Reason for this BuildWe wanted to create an open easy to use quick to set up desktop sized go-to machine, and so the OpenBuilds MiniMill was created !
Inspired byC-Beam Machine and Desktop mill designs