Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

1500x1000 (4x2) Router - OX derivative

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by KBill, Nov 3, 2014.

1. KBill

KBill New
    Builder

2. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

This is a very nice looking design @KBill that looks like it will work well to save on space, say in a garage where most machine configurations would stick out into the floor.
    Great job on this build :thumbsup: Looking forward to more eye candy pics and models.
    Thank you for sharing
    Mark

3. slittle

slittle New
    Builder

Great looking build kBill, look forward to the eyecandy to come.

4. Wes123

Wes123 New
    Builder

What did you do for your gantry? Did you go with 2 20mm x 60mm extrusions or did you do something different? Thanks!

5. KBill

KBill New
    Builder

Like on the 4x4 plans, I used 3-20x60 extrusions. The change I made is to add intermediate connections between the extrusions. At two points, roughly a third of length from each end, I drilled through each outer extrusion and screwed into a t-nut that is in the center extrusion. So, two points on each side. This was done to increase torsional strength. It takes a little grinding, the one shown in picture isn't very pretty.

Attached Files:

6. Wes123

Wes123 New
    Builder

Thanks for the info. I am looking to do something similar, and I'm researching my options. How has this setup worked out for you? How does it stand up to cutting aluminum? Have you noticed any negative effects from the added weight of the third extrusion? Thanks again!

7. KBill

KBill New
    Builder

I haven't worked with aluminum yet, just wood and plastic (sintra). I'm a little concerned about chatter with the long gantry and heavy router. Would probably be better with a light motor and a longer(taller) Z carriage.

8. clynad

clynad New
    Builder

@KBill have you considered a light weight spindle like the quite cut?

9. KBill

KBill New
    Builder

The router is working out very well. The Z axis was a little loose since the spacers don't have small holes to fit the fasteners opposite the eccentrics. I took apart and added eccentric spacers to both sides and it's much better. I also bought the extended plates from Chris, but haven't installed.
    @clynad I'd like to consider a lighter weight spindle, but haven't done anything serious in that regard. I did some brief shopping based on a G+ post, but didn't get anywhere. I think something smaller with VFD would be nice.

10. Kevin p

Kevin p New
    Builder

Have you had much chatter with the long gantry? I'm working through the final designs for a similar gantry and I want to make sure it's functional before dropping the cash for it.

Also how custom were your aluminum plates?