Welcome to Our Community

Unlock hidden features. Sign Up for Free Today!

2 GANTRY CNC HOTWIRE MACHINE

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by Gino Lanzi, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Gino Lanzi

Gino Lanzi Well-Known
    Builder

2. JustinTime

JustinTime Master
    Builder

If you do that the kerf of the cut will be rather big. If you have the wire touch the foam the kert will be the size of the wire. If you do that, there will be more resistance than just the machine's inertia and the gantry's weight.

3. Gino Lanzi

Gino Lanzi Well-Known
    Builder

The kerf is about 1mm and relatively consistent. By its nature a hotwire machine is not a precision machine. If you allow the wire to touch you'll get drag that will really hurt accuracy. You can't tention the wire enough to prevent drag without prematurely breaking the wire. I suppose you could turn the temp lower and slow the machine enough, but it would still be essentially the inertia applying the resistance. I've run hundreds of feet through my other machine and the nema 17s are sufficient. Of course that machine uses 23s, but I ran it on 17s for some time while trying to source .9 degree 23 steppers.

4. PhotoSgt85

PhotoSgt85 Veteran
    Builder

I have no experience with hot wire machines, so pardon the ignorance of the question. What are these used for?

5. Gino Lanzi

Gino Lanzi Well-Known
    Builder

The are used primarily to cut polystyrene foam. Hobbyist use them for foam wings and fuselages and other things like crafting. Commercially they have many purposes such as architectural moldings and custom packaging.

6. jel111

jel111 New
    Builder

I have been thinking about something like this where you can easily move the machine around a larger piece of stock so the actual build platform wouldn't have to matter.

7. Gino Lanzi

Gino Lanzi Well-Known
    Builder

Jel111, it will work well for that purpose. Expect to see a video of it actually cutting something soon.

8. Thunder1911

Builder

What kind of wire are using to cut the foam? I have been using iconel on a hand held bow type cutter.

9. Gino Lanzi

Gino Lanzi Well-Known
    Builder

Hi Thunder, Most of the time I use 28.5 gauge rene wire. I occasionally use 25 gauge rene wire for certain applications, but it is rare. I buy it at Jacobs online. There is a lot of good information on their site as far as wire and required power. Personally I haven't used iconel but heard it is very good like rene wire they are both super alloys.