Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

3d printer cabinet and fume ?

Discussion in '3D printers' started by Rodm, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Rodm

Rodm Well-Known
    Builder

Hi,
    I've gotten a few comments about the smell wile printing and read about some getting soar throats - headaches. It hasn't bothered me yet but the comments have me planning a cabinet set up. I like the idea and advantages of a warmer more constant place for printer and fume control. The cabinet plans - videos show a lot of ideas to contain heat and insulate area. The fume control videos show fans and ductwork sucking and venting air out - ideally outside. So one contains a lot of heat and the fumes, the other deals with the fumes but due to all the air being cycled thru the area would probably be about room temperature and draftier. Does anyone have a design that does both well? My thought would be a small vent close to the bottom of one side and a small vent and duct to outside (or air cleaner) high on the opposite side. no fan, just let the rising warm air get the job done. What do you think?

Regards,
    Rod

2. evilc66

evilc66 Journeyman
    Builder

Rather than duct the air outside, and as you rightly said, lower the air temperature as a result, it may be better to just recirculate the air through a carbon filter (like they use for hydroponics). That will scrub the smell and most of the larger particulates out of the air while maintaining higher chamber temperatures.

3. Rodm

Rodm Well-Known
    Builder

That seems like a good idea with a fair pricetag. Web surfed a bit. Can get a 10" long, 8" diameter filter with 4" flange for $30. An 80mm 22cfm fan for $15. Then desing - print a mounting plate for fan. Do the fumes rise or fall? Should system be mounted by top or bottom of enclosure?

4. evilc66

evilc66 Journeyman
    Builder

With a small enclosure like this, I don't think it matters where you plumb it.

You can try an 80mm PC fan, but it may not generate enough static pressure to be effective with the carbon filter in line. You might want to look at a 4" HVAC duct fan. Nice thing too is that it will mate up directly to the filter and any duct work. A cheap router speed control (Harbor Freight has one) can be used to alter the airflow and noise level.

5. Rodm

Rodm Well-Known
    Builder

The speed controller is a good idea. My first thought was a 4" duct fan but thought it would push to much air around. Speed controller would solve that. Was thinking of the 80mm fan would keep things smaller to. I'll try to find out more about pressure needed for filter to work properly.