Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

A complete table from V slot?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Shannon Jardine, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Shannon Jardine

Builder

Hello everyone. I am new to building with V slot or other extrusion. I have used some extrusion on smaller projects. I am making sure before I continue with a large table that I can build the complete table from V-slot or do I need to build a steel frame table and use the V-slot as the axis frame?

Table size 3000 x 1800 MM. This is a large table and will have light material (Textiles) for a laser cutter.

Any help or guidance would be great.

Shannon

2. Ronald van Arkel

Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

Hello Shannon,

Use indeed a steel frame to mount the V-Slot on. Steel angle would be perfect so you can perforate and screw the V-Slot to it. I've seen projects that are using 2 V-Slots of 1500mm for the Y-axis and 1 V-Slot of 1500mm for the X-axis. I've never tried to get it the X-axis to 1800mm.

-Ronald

3. Shannon Jardine

Builder

Thanks for the reply. I am thinking about using 80/20 extrusion for base table. Then I will have a rail to bolt the V-slot to. Checking on cost. If this is cost prohibited then I will break out the welder and make a table.

Thanks Shannon

4. Ronald van Arkel

I've made tables for plasma cutting and they use 2x 80*20*1500mm and 2x 60*20*1500mm (one cut in half) put together like this:

[​IMG]

I use Cast Corner Brackets (made plat on the sides) , double t-nuts and end-plates to get a nice and stable rail. Make sure you cut the ends clean/straight when putting V-Slot together like that ;).

-Ronald

5. Shannon Jardine

Builder

Thanks for the pic. This gives me some ideas. So you have a belt and pinion set up. Do you think that will still work for a longer table? I like the idea of bolting the table together. I was thinking about completely welding it.

6. Ronald van Arkel

I would say it might work but never tested it. Just make sure the belt tension is the same at both sides; easy to do with a a hanging scale so you can see how much pounds/kilos you pull. A 2.5-3.5W 405-445nm laser should be enough to cut normal fabric and cow leather.

-Ronald