Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Aluminium Router From Dubai

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Raed Al Nuaimi, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Raed Al Nuaimi

Builder

2. Raed Al Nuaimi

Builder

Yesterday, the hardware arrived, almost 6 weeks, but it was worth the waiting.....
    This is the first time for me to go through the whole cycle of 3D modeling from 2D sketches, to actual object that you can touch and feel, a real nice feeling. I am an electronic engineer, and have no clue about tolerance in mechanical drawings and was really worried that things will not fit since I did not leave any allowance or slots for adjustment, all parts were assembled as planed with no problem at all. below you can see my 1000x800 machine. I am tired now, I will post more pictures of the build later.

Just see this, and note the 6 bolts fixing the gantry, they are 5m not a slot, also not that my motors are fixed with no spacer, I have a complete new design for the X-Z axis carriage, it was very easy to assemble.

5.jpg

sgspenceley likes this.
  3. Raed Al Nuaimi

Builder

Hi,
    below some pictures which shows the totally new design for the X-Z axis.

This picture shows the 1/2 inch Z-Axis plate holding the anti-backlash nut.

20.jpg

Here you can see the spindle holder, and the limits witch openings on the upper and lower plates.

Also note that using integrated ACME screw eliminates the need for spacers, coupling, collars and upper bearing.

I wish the controller PCB manufacturer will be as good as the guys who manufactured the plates, they will send test unit in 10 days, below you can see the 3D model of the controller. It is based on Toshiba TB6600, capable of driving 4.5A max (16 different levels settable using DIP Switches) . The drive support 4-Axis yet the A axis can be be set to clone any of the other three (x,y and z), it is also possible to reverse the direction of rotation of A-Axis (useful for cloning).

The controller uses plug able screw terminals so it is easy to use for different machines, just reconfigure and plug no need for soldering or adjusting pots. I hope it will do as designed when I receive it.

Controller.JPG

Attached Files:

• 13.jpg
      13.jpg
      File size:
      68 KB
      Views:
    sgspenceley likes this.
  4. Florian Bauereisen

Florian Bauereisen Well-Known
    Builder

Hi,
    nice build.
    One thing though:
    By using even smaller than 20 tooth spurgears you increase the load onto the shaft of your Nema greatly.
    Steppermotors are generally not designed to take sideloads.. usually one goes and finds the biggest spurgear that fits...
    Hope your machine works out still.

good luck

flo

5. Raed Al Nuaimi

Builder

Thank you for the note, I have tried to minimize the lateral and axial loads, however I need to wait till the controller arrive to put all to test.

Thanks

6. Raed Al Nuaimi

Builder

Well it was a long trip, I did not think it will take that long, 4 prototype, working on weekends and waiting for ARAMEX shipments from CNC shops. But it was fun and I think the results is good.

Please see First Cut Tests Here

7. Jonny Norris

Jonny Norris Well-Known
    Builder

Have you installed your cable carrier?

I'd strongly advise not fitting it inside the frame, because of a few things really. firstly as it will fill with chips, secondly as you are placing a heavy piece of mdf stock in there say, it's easy to bash the insides of the frame and would most definitely smash the carrier and most importantly, it could move into the spindles path and get cut.

Hope that didn't sound patronising at all. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

8. Raed Al Nuaimi

Builder

Thanks Jonny, I will take that note into consideration