Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Another OX CNC Router

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by dougsnash, Oct 8, 2014.

1. dougsnash

dougsnash New
    Builder

dougsnash published a new build:

Read more about this build...

2. dougsnash

dougsnash New
    Builder

My build is progressing fairly well but has hit a slight pause while I wait for the next order to arrive from the Openbuilds store. While I'm waiting for the rest of the mechanical parts to arrive, I have been thinking about how I am going to do the electronics side of the build. I have a parallel breakout board to use with Mach3 and some light duty H-bridge stepper drivers that won't handle the operation of the OX but will likely make it move at least. I have, however, not really committed to any single control system yet. I'd like to get some feedback from you builders who have your routers running as to what the best option is for control electronics.

A : Mach3
    B: GRBL
    C: TinyG
    D: Planet CNC

These are in no particular order just some of the options I have seen while perusing the forums and I am wondering if I am missing another great option. I could use the Mach3 breakout board I already have but would prefer to use a USB linked board as opposed to the parallel linked Mach3 board if I can. Any suggestions?

Secondly, I will need to get some decent stepper drivers. I have NEMA 23 for X, Y, and Z (double motors for Y axis of course). I also have a 24V power supply rated at 4.5A I believe. I hope the power supply I have is powerful enough but I am suspicious I might need more power (maybe one supply per axis?). Are there any specific stepper drivers that you guys have had good luck with that won't break the bank too badly? I have five functional Leegoal L298N Stepper Motor Driver Controller Board Modules but I suspect they are not up to the task at 2.5A maximum and have already cooked one just playing with it and an Arduino Uno. Do you have any recommendations for stepper drivers?

Thanks in advance. I'd like to avoid spending too much more on parts that are not capable of driving my OX.

Doug M