Welcome to Our Community

Unlock hidden features. Sign Up for Free Today!

anybody built a really large size 3d printer?

Discussion in '3D printers' started by Val Cocora, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Val Cocora

Val Cocora Veteran
    Builder

by large size i'm thinking 1 cubic meter (27 cubic feet). i am particularly referring to the challenges that might be associated with over scaling. thank you.

2. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Perhaps check out the thread "Ultimo" where Brian is using reinforced concrete for his frame - this may give you some ideas.

Tweakie.

3. dddman

dddman Master
    Builder

Keep in mind that it will take forever to print and you'll have to think at a system to change filament while printing (or find someone who sells really big spools :p ). Good luck!

4. Val Cocora

Val Cocora Veteran
    Builder

thanks, tweakie, will do.

5. Val Cocora

Val Cocora Veteran
    Builder

well, such a printer would be used to print full scale models. it is to be expected such things to take time to print

6. Val Cocora

Val Cocora Veteran
    Builder

tweakie, while I did not use concrete, I reinforced my printer frame by using some large custom made brackets. also, the frame is made of 20x80 rails so as to avoid sagging, seeing how the size of the printer frame (cubic shape) is 1500 mm. on top of that, I am using the angle corner connector between them, distributed approx. 1 foot apart along said 1500 mm.
    last but not least, please advise where can I find this 'ultimo' thread', couldn't find it in '3d printers' forums. I only recently started using the forums here, so please bare with me. :)

7. Val Cocora

Val Cocora Veteran
    Builder

ddman, I believe it's possible to pause the printing for adding filament, may be wrong here.
    anyways, I will be using an all metal dual extruder (micron 3dp) so I can shoot two at a time if necessary..I believe. :)
    will know more after the first tests.

8. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

9. Val Cocora

Val Cocora Veteran
    Builder