Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Anyone with Smoothieboard experience?

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by evilc66, Oct 25, 2016.

1. evilc66

evilc66 Journeyman
    Builder

I'm trying to use a Smoothieboard 5X with my C-Beam 3D printer, and I'm pulling my hair out with trying to get the communication reliable between my laptop (Windows 10) running Repetier Host, and the Smoothieboard. So far, the only semi-reliable method has been with a 1ft USB cable which isn't particularly convenient. I've tried a 10ft USB cable, as well as a few different ethernet options, all of which have their own issues.

With the 10ft USB cable, The print starts and gets through the first few lines of code, then stops and Repetier states "XX commands waiting". It never seems to start back up again. The 1ft cable hiccups with the "command waiting" message on occasion, but it starts back up again

With ethernet, it won't move past the start point (print head elevated about 5mm from build plate) without ping-pong communication enabled. With ping-pong enabled, it stutters through the print. Only straight line moves make the printer move at speed. Everything else (curves, corners, etc...) causes it to stop and start.

Anyone got any sure fire tips for making the communication more robust?

2. evilc66

evilc66 Journeyman
    Builder

It looks like Repetier and Smoothieware don't play nice with each other. The only way that I could get things working was over USB with pin-pong communications turned on (I hadn't tried this with USB, only ethernet). Seems like this is a Repetier only issue, as Pronterface and Simplify3D don't have the same issues (haven't tried personally). It's running pretty well right now, but I've only tested it with a calibration cube at this point. Longer print runs will see if this is a long term solution.

3. evilc66

evilc66 Journeyman
    Builder

Simplify3D works flawlessly over USB. Easiest setup ever.