Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Approx constant force required to keep gantry plate on V slot moving

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by richard3879, Jun 23, 2014.

1. richard3879

Builder

Because of friction it takes a certain force to keep a build-plate or gantry-plate moving Does anyone know how much force, approximately, is required to keep a build-plate/gantry-plate (on V slot rails using Dual V wheels DELRIN) moving at constant velocity?

Has anyone done tests with different weights on the build-plate? Thanks.

EDIT: Does one need to know the force in practice?

#1 richard3879, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  2. richard3879

Builder

3. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

There really is not an answer to such a question. As an example, as part of a project I have piece of 20x40 with a pair of mini-v trolleys set up top and bottom. When I hold the piece vertical, one trolley inevitably slides to the lower end faster than the other. While I can adjust the offset spacers on the faster one to slow it down, this ultimately just shows that the amount of force required to move the trolley along is specifically related to the adjustment of the spacers and how much friction is introduces into the system by doing so. And this is not a precise enough system to say where the ideal amount tightness between the wheels and the rail exists. That ideal tightness is the minimum amount required to take all the play out of system based on the specific forces you intend to apply to the trolley.

4. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Richard.
    I read your questions with great interest. These are things I've never thought about before. I don't know if the answers are of any help to me, but interesting. :)
    However, I seriously look forward to when your interests in the area of Lasers start!

Gray

5. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Agreed @Rick 2.0 and I think that this is subject to change with the material used for the wheels. BTW The (beta) poly carbonate wheels are showing very promising results for future higher load gantry needs.
    @richard3879 the main testing we have done are load test to see if there are any deviation after sitting with pressure over time.
    With the bearings in the wheels a 25kg(55lbs) load pressing down on one wheel and after a week only showed a 0.01mm deviation on the Delrin/ Acetal (POM) and no deviation at all on the polycarbonate PC wheels.
    Hope this helps
    Mark

L. A. Carniel likes this.