Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Archer all metal 3D printer

Discussion in '3D printers' started by James Archer, Jun 12, 2016.

1. James Archer

Builder

James Archer published a new build:

Read more about this build...

2. Sonny Lowe

Sonny Lowe Journeyman
    Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

James,

I love your simple and straight forward design, I have been working on something very similar using "all" OB hardware and plates...this has me rethinking some of my design ;) That is what these opensource projects are all about after all, they get our creative juices flowing...good stuff!!!

I look forward to following your progress and seeing what the final build looks like and how well it performs, I have no doubt that it is going to be a winner :thumbsup:

Sonny

#2 Sonny Lowe, Jun 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
    MaryD likes this.
  3. James Archer

Builder

Thanks Sonny I appreciate the support. I have been lurking on this site for a while now and have defiantly been inspired by the designs on here including some of yours. The build is coming along nicely now the mechanical part of the machine is super sturdy and all axis are running smoothly.

I have a CNC machine so it was super convenient for me to use custom plates for this build, however you would be surprised how inexpensive it is for you local machine shop to make custom plates for you. It would be totally possible to make a variant of my design using all OB hardware:
    Good luck with you build, I cant wait to see how it turns out.

#3 James Archer, Jun 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
    MaryD and Sonny Lowe like this.
  4. Sonny Lowe

Sonny Lowe Journeyman
    Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

James,

Thanks for the extra input, and all the details. I too have access to CNC machines, in fact we are buying yet another 5 axis machine...should be fun :)

When you have a few minutes to spare this is where I work, we do some really cool stuff :cool:

Advanced technologies Inc.

Sonny

5. James Archer

Builder

Wow you work looks awesome! I didn't know you could even get 5-axis CNC machines with such an enormous build envelopes 90ft*16ft*10ft is insane. Hopefully when I graduate university I can work somewhere with equally cool equipment.

6. Michael Semenchuk

Builder

I am building a Tevo Tarantula and this frame looks a lot like it. I am not a fan of my Tarantula's split 2040 base as I think it loses rigidity. I would rather have had a solid 2040 or 2020 base and had the Y axis sit on top of it and added 20mm feet on each end of the Y axis to accommodate the height difference from the solid base. Just my $0.02.

7. IronMan

IronMan New
    Builder

This is an inspiring design for sure. One question though, how does the frame stay rigid enough to not wobble when the buildplate is doing rapid movements on the Y-Axis?