Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Archivist Quill Book Scanner

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by Jonathon Duerig, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Jonathon Duerig

Jonathon Duerig Journeyman
    Builder

Jonathon Duerig published a new build:

Read more about this build...

GrayUK likes this.
  2. eddiejr

eddiejr New
    Builder

Awesome, many years ago I was trying to design one. Then I hopimg to use a program called ScanTailor to save time if I wanted images processed quickly.

3. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

4. Balu

Balu Well-Known
    Builder

Love the design, but I'd suggest a button on the handlebar to start a scan :)

5. Jonathon Duerig

Jonathon Duerig Journeyman
    Builder

@eddiejr If you want to get back into the game and want some inspiration, I put together a gallery of most of the designs posted on the DIY book scanner forums. Just browse through these and it will surely bring it all back to you:

DIY Book Scanner Designs

@Mark Carew Thank! It has been great working with you guys to make sure I have all the parts I needed to make the kits.

@Balu I designed the software to allow lots of different inputs because different people have different preferences. Some people like the idea of triggering with a foot pedal. I use a keyboard. And there are lots of other potential options.

The software that runs on the Raspberry Pi can accept the input of almost any kind of switch you wire up, including a button on the handle. The tricky part is coming up with an easily mounted package that mounts cleanly onto the V-Slot handlebar. When I've looked into it, most buttons I have seen are panel mount with soldered connections underneath. After making an enclosure for them, the whole thing would end up being pretty bulky.

Ideally, I would want a small button package with a single easily pressed button, a couple of screws to flat mount it onto the handlebar, and sealed stress-relieved leads out of the side (or back if they would fit inside the T-slot) which end in a barrel jack or something similar. But I haven't come across anything yet that seems close enough to make me happy. If you come across something that you think would suit, let me know.

-D

Mark Carew likes this.