Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Balance of power, speed when choosing electronics

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Rodm, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Rodm

Rodm Well-Known
    Builder

So I was reading a post on another site about choosing the right router. There where a few comments that got me thinking more isn’t always better.
    First was Stepper motors size / speed to router size. They suggest a Drexel like tool for 100 in/lb motors, a full size 3hp router for greater than 250 and a trim router for the in-between.
    Then picking the right power supply. You want enough to drive your motors properly but sounded like to big of a power supply would generate a lot of unnecessary heat and a concern about not overheating steppers on long cuts.
    Last point was getting an upgraded collet to avoid run off? – slippage. (Percision bits?) Also a version that would accept 1/8” bits.
    The collet idea makes some sense. I’ve had plenty of slippage during more typical router use so having it ruin one board is frustrating, destroying a project after an hour plus of work! I’d rather not take the chance. I can understand 1/8” bits adding detail but how often do you folks use one?
    I was thinking about the high torque nema 23s all around, then thought that might be too much for the z. Now I think they might be too much for something like the dewalt 611? I now it’s up to me to pick speed but why overpower. I can’t imagine ever putting a full size router on this build and imagine the x would need to bee super beefy – rebuilt to use one. I want things running in a sweet spot not overworked but not underworked. I was thinking of using the gecko g540. That being an all in one board I don’t want to abuse the drivers. I’d say use would be hobby + not daily commercial.
    What are your thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Rod

2. Joe Santarsiero

Joe Santarsiero OB addict
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Do you have a link to that thread?

3. Rodm

Rodm Well-Known
    Builder

Hi Joe,
    I should of said some posts. I went back to check my history and my questions are based on info cherry picked from many posts. To many to link and alot of the info in them not so interesting. Would be a good read if it was all in one post. The comments that stuck in my mind came mostly from here in the build pages and a variety of posts from Cnczone.com and Routerforums.com. I've seen several comments and YouTube videos about proper cooling for the g540 using heat sinks and fans. Have read plenty of comments about errors caused by controls getting too hot. Have also read about stepper motors sounding - performing poorly if underpowered and steppers overheating if over worked. That's why I concerned about keeping a good balance between componants