Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

best for novice?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Mark Evans, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Mark Evans

Builder

Hi all, I have been learning CNC mill cutting with my Handibot and of course this just leads to wanting more.
    I have been doing a lot of armchair research and it looks to me that the OB stuff is far more robust and versatile that the shapoko stuff but the shapoko can be ordered with all mechanicals in one box which would be a big plus for someone that has never built a cnc machine and has little experience working with beam.

So, my question is, is there a OB that is super good for a first timer where I can just order from a bom and build from detailed instructions?

thanx in advance

Mark

2. DiggerJ

DiggerJ Journeyman
    Builder

As a fellow novice, here are some things I can suggest:
    1. Go to this link and watch the build video #1 at least. No matter what you build with these parts, the foundational concepts and methods can be learned from this video. With the knowledge of how to use the parts, you will be better able to determine what you want to build.
    http://www.openbuilds.com/builds/openbuilds-ox-cnc-machine.341/

2. Should you determine that you want to build an OX, you can look at the BOM in the build and get most of the parts in one order. Just determine your overall size and order v-slot to match. From there you can get most of the way and probably only need a small supplemental order to complete. I had zero cnc knowledge before My build and got very close on the initial order.

3. There is a ton of help available here. Jump in and ask questions. Before you actually order, let the group know what you are wanting to build and they will generally point out the things you need to keep in mind with your build.

4. Many of the people here have made and offer some great parts to enrich your build and take a bunch of the quess work out of your project. From plates to electronic boards, you can find everything you will need to make a great tool. Just ask, and read, read, read.

5. Many of the OB contributors are posters on other boards. Many are quite respected for their dedication to the craft. Give them the respect they have earned and they will be your best knowledge base.

6. Lastly, have fun and don't get mired down in the minutia. The build methods are solid. Start there and grow with it.

Bonk, mybuild14, GrayUK and 2 others like this.
  3. Mark Evans

Builder

Digger, I appreciate your thoughts and will continue to lurk and try to ask some more focused questions.

4. Bonk

Bonk New
    Builder

Thanks Mark, for the question, and Digger for the fine reply. My son (14) and I are about to embark on a CNC mill build and have been reading and searching. We have four 3D printers,two from kits and two scratch built-a Cartesian and a Delta. We have used some Misumi extrusions before. We are most impressed with the obvious sturdiness of these OB parts over the Shap....kits. Have to admit,we'd like to purchase a mechanicals kit,but....guess next step is to go thru the BOM. Thanks everyone who have gone before.

5. DiggerJ

DiggerJ Journeyman
    Builder

Thanks for the kind words and likes, but I am just a fan and loving my build so far. The V-slot is really nice to use for builds. The big reason I chose an OX variant is that while I was researching CNC printers, routers and lasers, I found that some of the more recognized builds that were originally built using MDF, plywood, or mitsumi rail were now changing to OB V-slot rail. In trying to understand why, I came to understand that it is cheaper than mitsumi, but not less expensive than MDF or plywood. The strength and options like wheel assemblies and eccentric adjusters are obvious plusses in favor of V-slot rail.

The Open Source concept is also appealing to me, as I have followed that idea for years in other things I have designed. (motorcycle frame and suspension components)