Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Best way to cut paper?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Chandra Saran, Oct 22, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Chandra Saran

Builder

Hi Folks,

Can anyone share their thoughts on building a paper cutter? I want to cut vinyl paper 0.2mm ( Peel and Stick ).
    Paper would cut in 3 inches x 8 feet strips.

Thanks

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Can you give us a better idea of where you are headed with this. Are you wanting an 8' flat bed to where a drag knife could be used? Are you wanting to do this cutting on a roll-to-roll setup? How wide do you need for the initial roll?

3. Chandra Saran

Builder

Hi Rick,

Thanks for responding.

Yes , a 8 foot flatbed with a drag knife is exactly what I would want.
    Printed 2mm Vinyl ( 17 feet by 8 feet ) will be fed through a roller.

Each cut will have to be 3 inches wide. Total around 41 pieces and I will be doing 6 sheets in total so a fair amount of cutting.

I have seen different drag knives on the Internet and if you have a recommendation I would like to know?

As per the flat bed build, would you recommend the V Cut series or C? And what kind of a slider assembly? There seem to be a few and not having any experience don't know the best way to start.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Chandra.

4. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Suggestion using a simple parallel rail system mounted to a sheet of plywood with multiple blade holders set at 3" spacing along a sliding crossbar. You would need to rough cut a sheet 36" wide from the mother roll but the setup would yield eleven 3" strips in a single effort leaving 1.5" of scrap each side. The system shown is just a rough concept. You will need springs wedged into the front of the blade mounts to maintain pressure and you will also probably want a parallel wiring system to keep the crossbar square. The blade holders shown are a rough concept made with aluminum angle but if you have access to a 3D printer, you should be able to create a much simpler system.

Cutting Table.jpg

While this concept could easily be modified to where you didn't have to pre-cut the sheets and thus waste could be eliminated, it would require a rather substantial aluminum tube framework which would greatly increase the overall cost.

Attached Files:

5. Chandra Saran

Builder

Rick,

This looks fantastic! I will start with this and keep you in the loop on the progress.

Thanks a bunch.

Chandra.