Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Build almost finished - confused on electrical

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by iH8vols, Feb 22, 2017.

1. iH8vols

iH8vols New
    Builder

Hello. I'm nearing completion of my build. I'm finishing up the installation of the drag chains. I'm struggling with the next phase of the build. I'll list out the parts I've purchased thus far, but I'm struggling to understand how they all go together. I've searched the forums, and I don't know if I'm just not finding it or what, but I don't see any type of diagram that will help me.

I would like to have an enclosure to house all my electronics. I would also like to have an emergency stop, and on/off switches for the cnc and a vacuum.

Here's the parts I have thus far:
    • 4 Nema 23 High Torque (Openbuilds model)
    • xPro V3
    • 24V 14.6A power box
    • bare wire plug
    • 18/4 shielded security wire
    • led voltage/amp display
    What I (think) I need and would like suggestions parts you have used:
    • an emergency stop.
    • 4 pin aviation mounts (??)
    • cooling fan
    • terminal block(?)
    • on/off switches for cnc and vac
    • I was looking at some computer enclosures to use as the enclosure. The size case I was looking at was around 18.5 x 8 x 18.5. Do you think this is big enough?
    Am I missing anything? Any good write-ups on how to wire all this together?

Appreciate the help! Getting excited now....sooooo close!! =)

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You have the Xpro, so you can utilize the info from the people making it for set-up. CNC xPRO Controller V2

GETTING STARTED AND BASIC SETUP:

I have used these parts. There are many others that can be used and other people may have different opinions, other suggestions and most likely more knowledge than I:
    E-stop Amazon.com: uxcell AC 600V 10A Red Mushroom Emergency Stop Push Button Switch 22mm NO NC: Home Improvement

my limit switches Amazon.com: uxcell 20 x Micro Limit Switch Long Hinge Roller Arm SPDT Snap Action LOT New: Home Improvement

my case Amazon.com: Rosewill Micro ATX Mini Tower Computer Case SRM-01: Computers & Accessories

I added three of these fans to my case. Why? Because my power supply is 36 volts, these fans are 12 volts, and it was easier to wire them in series than to add a separate power supply of voltage regulator. Amazon.com: Cooler Master Sleeve Bearing 120mm Silent Fan for Computer Cases, CPU Coolers, and Radiators (Value 4-Pack): Electronics

aviation plugs Amazon.com: 5 x Panel Mounting 16mm Dia Screw 4Pin Metal Aviation Connectors Plugs by Gino: Electronics I used these, but in retrospect I would have used 5 pin at the case so I could use one pin for the shield ground wire from the shielded wire.

switch at plug for on off Amazon.com: SODIAL(R) 3 Pin IEC320 C14 Inlet Module Plug Fuse Switch Male Power Socket 10A 250V: Home Improvement

Again, these parts work well for me. Other people's mileage may vary. Many of these items took 20 + days to get to me due to where they shipped from. I wasn't in a hurry since I ordered them well before the time I needed them.

iH8vols likes this.
  3. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

iH8vols and Joe Santarsiero like this.
  4. iH8vols

iH8vols New
    Builder

Wow. Thank you so much for taking the time to write all this for me. Really appreciate it. This is a huge help!!

5. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

No problem, I just took everything off of my order history so it wasn't a lot of work. Again, since you have the shielded wire, I would look at the five pin for the motors and 4 pin for the limit switches.

6. iH8vols

iH8vols New
    Builder

Started getting everything laid out for the electrical stuff this weekend. One question I have, for my on/off, hold, and stop buttons, do I need switches that are rated for 24v or can get by with 12v ones? The 12's are much more common. I have the openbuilds 24V / 14.6A Power Supply.

Thanks!