Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

C-Beam™ Machine - Plate Maker

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Mark Carew, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

kram242 published a new build:

Read more about this build...

David the swarfer likes this.
  2. Kyo

Kyo Veteran
    Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

Awesome build ! I have been debating a ox build to cut out the aluminium plates for Adamantine. But this looks perfect for that. The Static gantry with moving platform should make for a sturdy machine.. Will still need a ox for the larger projects but for dedicated build plate machine this seems ideal. I know what I am saving up for next!

Mark Carew likes this.
  3. Mark Carew

Thanks @Kyo we love using ours here at the shop. Its the perfect size for the plates we need :thumbsup:

Timmygray likes this.
  4. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

The C-Beam is a little rich for my blood, but the design is very similar to my current design intent. I think I've FINALLY settled on a design. ;) Nice to have that BOM to check against.

I take it this is the OB response to the sudden popularity of the X-Carve kit? :p

5. Joe Santarsiero

Joe Santarsiero OB addict
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Wow! Great work Mark.

Mark Carew likes this.
  6. Mark Carew

Hey @Rob Taylor , I would say more then anything its a starters platform to build from (like all of our builds here), in fact there are a lot of similar design out there. But with the C-Beam Machine being Open we can't wait to see it grow and modifies though this great community of builders combined efforts. :thumbsup:

Timmygray likes this.
  7. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

It's perfect, really- priced ideally for those with just a touch more technical ability and don't need absolutely everything plug-and-play. Looks like it should just come in around $1000 with some careful shopping, including a spindle, VFD, drivers and even one of the OTS controllers like the xPRO that you use. I'm aiming at around $500-600 all told, hence my lack of C-Beam and likely use of a 1HP compact router, but really in the current desktop CNC marketplace $1k is pretty solidly positioned to me.

The wave plate that you did and have in your av, is that cross-hatching the highest resolution the thing's capable of? Or was that more of a rough pass? Seems like machine threads plus low-level microstepping (to maintain torque through alu?) should be much more capable than that.

8. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

Loving the design mark, great to have a complete machine that takes advantage of C-Beam. I can see a lot of requests for this on our side of the water.

Mark Carew likes this.
  9. Mark Carew

Great to hear @Ryan Lock , we thank you for your support and hope you guys can run with it and get the C-Beam Machine spread out over there for the Builders across the pond :) After the amazing work you did on for the OX kit we are looking forward to seeing what you do on the C-Beam Machine! :thumbsup:

Thanks @Rob Taylor as always we try and keep all the parts as affordable as possible, and thats one of the reasons this build is so attractive. My machine shown in the video comes in a little over 800 bucks total.
    As for the wave plate example, it is really just an attempt at using Aspire for the first time :D I believe the step over was at 30% on an 1/8th inch bit. Was not really trying for hi res, just trying to learn the software (through the tutorials) and produce a cool 3D object from a grey scale image (and it worked!). I am sure as I dig more into the software I will learn more about how to produce better cuts.

Ryan Lock likes this.
  10. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

@Mark Carew Ah, ok. I saw a 3D-from-JPG option with a toolpathing program the other day, as it happens. I guess it's a thing. Not sure how useful it seems to me (except when I need to generate a normal texture from a diffuse texture, but that's a whole different flavour of 3D!), but it's a cool little trick, for sure.

Would be nice to see a full-res version with 8% stepover and a nice little 1/8" ballnose endmill or something, see what the machine's really capable of. Also, now that you have this thing... Does that mean OX plates on-demand from the OBPS? :D (Or even custom user-designed plates... Just sayin')

11. Mark Carew

@Rob Taylor
    yes I see now thats not the cleanest way to go about it. :D

This is a good idea Rob, I will look into trying it out (if someone else doesn't beat me to it :) ) as I learn the software.

That's what we are hoping to see. It would be great to have a section where all Builders could have the ability to sell their own designs(working on this idea, still ) . Or better yet how about Builders using the 'Cut It Forward' program started by Brandon Satterfield and Alex Lee Cut-It-Forward This would be a great machine to help make this happen. :thumbsup:

THE LINK likes this.
  12. Adam Filipowicz

Adam Filipowicz Journeyman
    Builder

only thing i dont like is the exposed Screws.. all the alum shavings will fall in. and cause issues. these need some kind of cover to protect them.

13. Mark Carew

Hi @Adam Filipowicz So far all is good as we clean up as we go but yes we agree there needs to be a shield or bellows on the Y axis at the least. We found these simple bellows for the sides of an AC unit that I thought may work well. I have not tried them yet but they are plastic so they may be pretty tough. http://www.lowes.com/pd_110445-1410-AC18H_
    Also Brandon Satterfield found this solution for a machine he has been working on.
    Hope this helps

14. solarground

Builder

very cool! nice work!

Mark Carew likes this.
  15. Adam Filipowicz

Adam Filipowicz Journeyman
    Builder

need to make a 24" x 24" version of this setup

16. Mark Carew

@Adam Filipowicz that would be cool, and not that hard to do at this point. You could add a double Y C-Beam and a center lead screw between the two. Then make the X axis 1000mm and your well on the way to a bigger cutter! :thumbsup:

Dime likes this.
  17. bobt

bobt Well-Known
    Builder

OK Mark -- Now can you "PLEASE":D do a video of operation with full 360 degree wraparound:rolleyes: (run around the unit some) and a build video. Also in the build video can you show the parts not included but needed. Just the basics. And then step back as the variations that come out of this will just scare everyone:eek:.

OK my stupid:banghead:.:blackeye:.:cry:.. You did the video of the build I just did not look far enough but I should remember that you always do a video on new things:thumbsup:....

#17 bobt, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
    Mark Carew likes this.
  18. Mark Carew

LOL thanks @bobt we did try our best to cover all the bases this time, I thought about doing a video on SketchUcam as well but @David the swarfer already has these covered :thumbsup:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/swarfer42/videos
    There are more helpful videos in a series here by Caleb Peters that may also be helpful
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxm-7P1GnMID09qId9dqP0hlat9qpXImf
    Also we did add the 'what you will still need list' as well as the tools we used on our builds.
    http://openbuildspartstore.com/c-beam-machine-mechanical-bundle/
    Mark

19. Shawn Zarraga

Builder

Mark,

You made a video on youtube about a x-y slide table for 3printer. Date on youtube Jan 27,2013

I was wondering if you have the parts list and also I want to add another Build Plate so I can have a cnc mill hand copier . What all do I need for the x y table but I want the top to be able to support some weight. In the picture I sent you can kind of have an idea what I am talking about.

Is it possible to respond back on my email?
    [email protected]

thank you very much.

Attached Files:

THE LINK likes this.
  20. DarkAlchemist

DarkAlchemist Well-Known
    Builder

One thing I am looking at and not seeing is this -> Z Axis Travel 160mm - (6") I don't think that is correct because the true Z travel would be the distance of the bed to the bottom of Z's c-beam which looks pretty **** close to me and closer than 160mm for sure. No way could you squeeze a 160mm piece and have it work as the clearance looks pretty shallow to me of about 50mm but pictures can lie due to the one eyed monster effect cameras have always had.

So, what is the clearance from that base (the board) to the bottom of that Z c-beam? That is the real working area and having anything taller means Y travel would have to be severely limited.

21. KBill

KBill New
    Builder

What's your software toolchaing for various operations. I noticed references to Sketchucam and aspire, but haven't seen if you recommend software to go with the build.

22. Mark Carew

Hi @DarkAlchemist The actual travel the z axis can make is about 6" because of the use of the 250mm C-Beam actuator being used, you are correct and I need to update the description so that there is no confusion a (thanks for the tip) in that distance between the spoiler is approx. 1.250" this is all I wanted it to be at a max for plate making. Since you have 6" of Z travel you could always make the columns higher (with longer bits) and use more of the available cutting depth or in my case I made them as low profile as I could so that I had a lower center of gravity to keep everything as ridged as possible.

Hello @KBill For my cuts and for the sake of easy to use software I have been using SketchUp and SketchUcam for any 2D or 2.5D cuts. For any kind of 3D stuff I have been look at a few programs out there. Aspire is very nice and MeshCAM looks like a nice 3D carver as well.

23. Mark Carew

Hello @Shawn Zarraga I responded to the email you sent me about the copier build. :)

24. bobt

bobt Well-Known
    Builder

OK Mark - I checked your build list. Great but (there's always a but) . You need to add the Bosch Colt as a not supplied item along with the 1/8" collet that is listed and I also did not find the tool holder in the parts list. Just saying you know. Otherwise GREAT:D.

Also I know you have the stuff. Please make a video of cutting out a Side Plate for an OX out of 1/4" aluminum. Just as proof that the machine will do what we all know it will do. You can even time warp the video so that it does not take all day in our timeline.:confused::rolleyes:

Also in your build video I saw you spin the unit around several times:cool: BUT you did not run around it at all and if you don't do that then I cannot explain to my wife that I watched the video and that caused my finger to slip on the order button. It just happened honest sweetee.....:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

GrayUK, Mark Carew and James_Hopkins like this.
  25. motopreserve

motopreserve Well-Known
    Builder

I think the Colt is on the list as needed items. I'm really interested in this bundle. Seems like it could be a great way to get into the hobby for the uninitiated.

Thanks for a great Video Mark!

Mark Carew likes this.
  26. Eric Foster

Builder

Have you tried the plate you cut in the video on the machine itself as the Y-Z mounting point? I like the basic machine setup and was looking at something very similar for my first build, the difference was going to be instead of the C beam section for the Z being fixed to the Y gantry plate, it was going to be the Z gantry plate fixed to the Y gantry plate, exactly the same principle as that plate you made. Are you going to be selling those btw? I'm wondering if you've tried that setup for Y-Z. I like that with the whole C beam section with the screw and router moving up and down (and out of the way) you get much greater Z build space with the same components. I'm also wondering if you will be selling the C-beam actuators with the anti-backlash nut block instead of the conventional one?

27. FredP

FredP Rebel without a clue
    Builder

Awesome, just in time to. I just started working again "Thank the Lord" and one of things first on my list is to build me another router, you just made my choice real simple. Fantastic work Mark, not just this machine but the entire Openbuilds idea, thanks for your hard work brother!

28. BOZINATOR

BOZINATOR New
    Builder

hey Mark,
    please cancel my order and refund my payment you charged me two days after I tried to cancel . I have sent several e-mails and this is my last resort to contact you and maybe get a response.
    jim

29. DarkAlchemist

DarkAlchemist Well-Known
    Builder

Makes sense and I was off by 1/4" as I was figuring the actual distance to be about 1 inch. See, I look at your design and I am thinking 3d printer and instead of plunging Z would go up. The only thing on your design that needs to be changed for that is Z itself so raising it up to allow for taller prints. I like the design because I was laying out the C-Beam as a 3d printer. Rugged, sturdy, and using a 2mm acme threaded rod is better in X, and Y than a GT2 belt 16t gear and slightly worse in Z but when we are dealing in sub microns the difference doesn't matter (M5 0.8mm pitch = 0.00025mm layer height vs Acme 2mm pitch = 0.000625mm layer height both using 1/16 micro stepping).

30. lolocaledo

Builder

Hello,
    I've ordered C-Beam Machine Mechanical Bundle last week. I'll use one Smoothieboard but I don't know witch spindle motor to use ?
    I want to mill wood, plastic, plexiglass and think aluminum (5 or 6 mm).