Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

C-beam control kit- "how to" anyone?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by steammaker factory, Jan 22, 2017.

1. steammaker factory

Builder

i'm all left hands when it comes to power supplies and micro boards. I'm seriously interested in building an XL c-beam kit from the store but noticed no mention of control panel or controller kit.
    Any suggestions of a turn key solution would be helpful. Anyone looking to sell an assembled c-beam ready to run, let me know too? I'm wanting to run nema 23's

2. snokid

snokid Journeyman
    Builder

CNC xPRO V3 Controller Stepper Driver
    3 NEMA 23 Stepper Motor
    24V / 14.6A Power Supply

that's what I use with no problems....
    its not the only way but I will let others give advice on other ways...
    Bob

3. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

4. snokid

snokid Journeyman
    Builder

is that an UK thing red blue and green/yellow wires for the mains? in the states it's white black and green....
    Bob

5. DazTheGas

DazTheGas Journeyman
    Builder

This is the UK standard for mains wiring N = Blue, L = Brown and Green/Yellow = Earth, this was changed many years ago for to make it easier if colour blind,

DazTheGas

#5 DazTheGas, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  6. snokid

snokid Journeyman
    Builder

thanks Daz, Figures there's no standard around the world!!!
    Bob

7. Ronald van Arkel

Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

The Netherlands also use blue, brown and green/yellow, so do other countries in Europe. White would be a signal wire ;).

8. Brian Polin

Builder

Hi Steammaker, did you ever settle on a controller, I am building a OX and I'm very confused on the motion control!

9. snokid

snokid Journeyman
    Builder

Brian, how much do you know so far?
    working backwards you have stepper motors moving the cnc, then you have drivers (chips that handle the current of the stepper) then you have a board that takes the signal from the computer and tells the drivers which motor to move and how much and how fast.
    next in the line is a program on your computer that reads the g-code and talks to the board. (only two more steps!!!)
    next is the g-code generator which takes the drawing and turns it into code that the control board understands.
    last or first is a cad program that you can design the part you want to machine.

ok it's pretty simple

so to control your c-beam machine you need
    1steppers
    2drivers or a combo board (drivers and control board combined)
    3control board (not needed if you buy a combo board)
    4powersupply (maybe 2 of them depending on voltages)
    5software

ask away if you still have questions....
    Bob

GrayUK likes this.
  10. Brian Polin

Builder

Thanks Bob, I am so confused I know nothing(LOL)! So my initial idea was to go with Arduino and a GRBL shield and run LinuxCNC, but found out LinuxCNC is not USB compatible. I do have both Parallel and USB on the computer. So I'm looking for a Arduino+Grbl in a parallel config, and haven't found that yet! I guess I could always go back to Windows XP and use Mach3 as the control and stick with Arduino+Grbl but was hoping for a Linux solution!
    Brian

11. steammaker factory

Builder

Hi Brian,
    Nope. Didnt get the help I was looking for. I want a turn key controller solution and surprised OpenBuilds doesnt offer one. I think it's a waste of time to build a cnc then struggle trying to assemble some make shift solution. I'm actually surprised nobody sells an out of the box solution. If you find one let me know.

12. Brian Polin

Builder

13. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

If you want an all in one, buy the xpro, plug in your motors and computer and you are done. if you want, you can add limit switches . the xpro wiring diagram is pretty straightforward.

14. snokid

snokid Journeyman
    Builder

right off the c-beam xl page....
    596 Nema 23 Stepper Motors - High Torque (Option) 4
    Driver Board - There are many different Driver/Controller Options available. Please use the Discussion Thread on OpenBuilds.com for more details.
    511 or 591 Power Supply - depending on your setup you may use a 12V or 24V power supply 1

now click on electronics
    choose 3 of these
    DQ542MA Stepper Motor Driver
    then one of these
    CNC USB controller Mk3/4 (4 axis)
    then a power supply get the 24V

The reason Openbuilds doesn't bundle them is because some people like fords others like chevy's...
    but that will get your machine cutting in no time...
    Bob

15. steammaker factory

Builder

Hi Brian,

That Probotix is exactly what I was looking for. True it's not cheap but that wasnt my main concern. In searching Craig's suggestion for the xPro, I just found this ZEUS CNC 500x750mm kit that comes with everything INCLUDING the electronics: Zeus CNC Router Kit not bad for $1000

16. JimJ

JimJ New
    Builder

I saw the Zeus about the time I bought the Plate Maker. I went with the Plate Maker, bought the Xpro separately, took the 6 amp power supply (from my train layout) and was up and cutting in no time. Now I'm in the process of up grading and up sizing the bed and changing to a Sphinx style lay out using the two 500mm C-beams on the one axis and a 1000mm on the other. And yes the power supply is on the list to get upsized as well ( it doesn't have enough power to get out of it's own way)