Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

C-Beam Linear Actuator Issue

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by ChrisG-Canada, Jan 9, 2017.

1. ChrisG-Canada

Builder

I have the 1000mm X-Carve to which I've applied several mods/upgrades which include replacing the stock Z-Axis with a 250mm C-Beam Linear Actuator kit.

I had it installed and working great for a couple of weeks until just before Christmas when a wheel and belt broke (Im pretty sure the belt broke first which cause the wheel to break) on the X-axis gantry (that holds the whole Z-Axis assembly). Of course my workpiece was ruined. It really was my fault because I knew the belt was weakened...

I've since replaced the broken belt and wheel and got the X-Axis working properly but now have an issue with the Z-Axis which is a 250mm C-Beam Linear Actuator kit (including stepper motor) I bought from the Openbuilds store.

Before the 'Incident' everything was solid and seems to be working well.

Since the 'incident' there seems to be some "play" in the actuator. As far as I can tell, so far, the spindle mount is solidly mounted to the sliding gantry assembly. It seems like the gantry assembly is rocking inside the c-beam.

Before I take it apart and try to troubleshoot the issue I'm looking for your advice - what to check first, etc.

I have a short video that demonstrates the issue that you might find helpful.

2. evilc66

evilc66 Journeyman
    Builder

Only thing it really could be is a wheel issue. Make sure that the eccentrics are set right putting the right preload on the extrusion, and that the bolts are tight. If that doesn't solve it, check the bearings for play, or a damaged wheel. It's going to have to come apart one way or another.

Rick 2.0 likes this.