Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

C-Beam Setup

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by WillNoon, Mar 28, 2016.

1. WillNoon

WillNoon New
    Builder

Hi guys,

Just built my new C-Beam machine, but the motors sound a little 'gritty' when running, along with a moderate vibration on the x and y axes.

Are there any areas I should focus on to eliminate/reduce these flaws?

Not sure if my bearings may be too tight or there's something I'm missing.

Thanks,
    Will

2. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Could really do with a video to show the fault. Reasons could be many, from low amps to steppers to mechanical problems.
    So more info would be helpful if you can.
    :thumbsup:

3. WillNoon

WillNoon New
    Builder

Just took one, but Im not sure my phone quality will be enough for it. Just uploading it now. Its pretty quiet and I've no idea why ... pain in the rear.

Attached Files:

4. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

That seems to be pretty much the way mine sounds. Are you running your steppers on full step and 2.5A or so?

Make sure you have no end play in the lead screws, and that they are not too tight. If you put too much preload on the leadscrew it will wobble as it turns. See C-Beam Machine feedback | OpenBuilds for some tips.

Check to make sure your wheels aren't too tight or too loose. You should be just able to turn them with your fingers, they should not free wheel or be locked solid.

#4 Metalguru, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  5. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

Oh, and it also needs to "break in" for a while to loosen everything up. Run a g-code program or 2 with no router for break in. Put some silicone lube like Jig-A-Loo or 3 in 1 Silicone spray lube on the lead screws, I don't recommend WD40 or other petroleum based lubricants. Spray some on a paper towel and wipe down the wheel v-grooves.

Kevl4r likes this.