Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

C-Beam cnc

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Kyo, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Kyo

Kyo Veteran
    Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

Kyo published a new build:

Read more about this build...

#1 Kyo, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  2. bnbellis3377

Builder

Enjoyed the build. Just finished up my first (cbeam ) just waiting on electronics. Hope to see the rest when your done

3. stargeezer

stargeezer Journeyman
    Builder

Hey Kyo, Great to see you back with a great build under way! Beautiful work Buddy and I can't wait to see how everything gets tied up and the electronics finished.

Are you planning to build a unique controller enclosure or are you going to use an existing box of some kind?

The build I'm working on right now is at just about this same place, ready for the brains. But I just can't make my mind up about the box. :)

Best Wishes!

4. Moag

Moag Veteran

Wow Kyo, great build matey:thumbsup:. It is certainly exciting times for the Openbuilds Community.

Glad you're giving Fusion ago, it's great software for builder makers, though it pushing my poor old iMac graphics card to its thermal limits with the bigger fully modeled designs :banghead:. If you need a hand with Fusion just yell out mate, I'm an expert (not) after using for just over a couple of months :rolleyes: " using the click lots of buttons until something works style of learning".

Looking forward to the fruition of your build.. :D

5. UltiBots

UltiBots Well-Known
    Builder

Kyo - great design and good looking build. Thanks for sharing your files early. Happy Chipping - Brad

6. Kyo

Kyo Veteran

@bnbellis3377 Thanks, You will love having a cnc around once your build is up and running. I keep finding new projects to throw at mine :D

@stargeezer Thank you.. I will be building a custom electronics enclosure this time around. The way I spec'd the V-slot in the b.o.m after cutting the parts needed for the cnc I will have just enough to build a enclosure like Martin Barfoed did for his X-carve. I should have very little waste. I find a lot of the electronic and wiring aspects get skimmed over or left out of builds. I hope by making it it's own build I will help those who may be intimidated by wiring there machine with a step by step process. :thumbsup: Nice, What kind of project are you working on? another cnc?

@Moag Thanks, indeed it is ! I look forward to logging on each day to see all the cool things folks come up with.. I am liking it ! Fusion is a little less intimidating once you dive in. Having a solid idea laid out of what I wanted to model really helped me pick it up. I would have struggled so much more if I did not have a specific item to make lol. Sounds like you and I both attend the same school of "click in tell it works! and if it does not; Ctrl+Z" hahaha

@UltiBots Thanks, no problem happy to share..

GrayUK, Moag and eddiejr like this.
  7. stargeezer

stargeezer Journeyman
    Builder

Kyo, you are the man!

You posted a pic of a UNO board driving a dq542ma which is driving a stepper. I didn't know that you could control a 542 with a lower powered driver like the Arduino. Can you post a sketch of how you have that wired? I've got a build that needs one higher powered stepper (nema 34) with a mix of nema 17s. This is problem I've been seeking a answer to for a while.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the build!

8. Kyo

Kyo Veteran

Sure no problem, I actually have a few videos up showing how I have it all set up. I have grbl running on the nano v3 with the pins brought out via the protonner 2.51 pi hat. But the pins should be the same for any arduino based controller or even the arduino pins directly.

You have two options depending if you want to edit your settings to change the default behavior of grbl. By default grbl provides a active low signal to enable stepper and a active high to disable stepper. This is reversed from what the dq542ma drivers want to get. They need a active high to enable not active low. In that case we do not use the enable pin from grbl and instead use a 5v output.

Now if you dont mind editing your grbl settings you can change the $4=0 setting to $4=1 doing this will change the grbl enable pin to provide the active high to enable stepper signal the dq542ma driver wants to see. Doing this we would use the enable pin from the arduino.

Let me open up a image editor and I will upload a wiring diagram in a second.

EDIT: Images below.

One.png

Uno_1.png

2.png

Uno_2.png

Edit: Not sure if it matters; but I am not powering my nano over usb. I have a single 5v 2amp power supply running the Raspberry pi / Protoneer hat / Nano v3 combo.. I am running the bCNC g-code sender software on the pi. The Driver is hooked up to my 24v mean well power supply.

#8 Kyo, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
    mybuild14, silopolis, MTO and 4 others like this.
  9. stargeezer

stargeezer Journeyman
    Builder

Kyo, you are great! Thanks so much for this info. Exactly what I needed to know and I'm sure I'm not the only one out here.

Larry

10. Kyo

Kyo Veteran

Nice, Glad to hear it.

11. Mogray

Mogray New
    Builder

Hey Kyo,

I really like this design. Simple but sturdy.

Looking through the files, I didn't see the cool Z axis motor mount STL. Would you be willing to share that?

Mogray

12. Kyo

Kyo Veteran

Thank you.

Sure I have no problem posting the file. I will upload the stl tomorrow morning. It could still use a little tweaking before calling it a finial design. The plate was designed to replace the top c-beam end plate and belt plate. I did not like how I was mounting the bearing and set the project aside going with OB's plates instead.

13. Kyo

Kyo Veteran

Mogray -- Here are the stl files for both the plate and cover. I was going to go with a milled plate and 3d printed cover. Like I said I did not end up making this part so if you decide to give it a go make sure to post it up. I welcome any feed back and would be happy to make changes to the files if needed for your project.

Attached Files:

14. Mogray

Mogray New
    Builder

Kyo,
    Thanks for the files. However, I humbly submit that there is a flaw in the "Belt Reduction Plate.stl" file. My software complained about it, but it processed. So I tried to print it. Bad decision. It made a mess on the build plate. Kind of like in Galaxy Quest when the animal is beamed up and is inside out.
    For a common reference, open it in the online tool "viewstl.com". Possibly not "water tight". Thanks for your assistance. The cover (and plates) print fine.

Mogray

15. Kyo

Kyo Veteran

hmm not sure, I will take a look at the file and re-upload a "solid / manifold" stl. Thanks for the heads up..

16. Mogray

Mogray New
    Builder

I have an Afinia H480 and despite the small build volume, it's great machine (well, the company's service is terrible). But I am stuck with their software. It is unhappy with that file. The file displays well in Module Works STL View, but then looks funky in viewstl.com. Some software is better than others in dealing minor flaws, but if you guys think the file is ok, then I'll find a way to work around it.

Thanks.

Mogray

17. Kyo

Kyo Veteran

I have not had a chance to change the above file. But I did re print it. No issues. ( slic3r to prusa i3v ).. This weekend I was able to get a number of things done on the build including most of the filming.

Quick question. One complete build video? or each step as its own video? @Mark Carew would it be okay to include the openbuilds youtube video intro in my build guide? Next up is editing.

For those who are already building this cnc; the current revision of cad files posted. There is a small mistake that prevents you from mounting the dual anti-backlash nuts on the y and x axis. I forgot to take into account the lead screw has a 8mm lead and space the mounting points accordingly. This became apparent once I started to film the assembly. You are still good to go with a single anti-backlash nut configuration. I am updating the plates to v2 that will fix this mistake.

If anyone wants random in progress updates, I have been using Instagram ( @509maker ). As always everything will be posted here as well. It is just another platform for me to share on :thumbsup:

18. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

We would be honored :thumbsup: Thank you
    EDIT: @Kyo We will need to discuss this in a little more detail. I will message you soon. Thank you.

#18 Mark Carew, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    Kyo likes this.
  19. Kyo

Kyo Veteran

Awesome, thanks. Videos will be posted in a couple days. Almost done and my weekend just started, time to dive in. :thumbsup:

Wrapped up the Z- axis today and have everything laid out for the X-axis tomorrow morning. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Kyo

Kyo Veteran

Oh that went together nicely ! Should make for a really solid x/z axis. Mechanical build is complete! I just have to finish editing and then upload the build videos , Upload the build manual , Update the three plates ( x axis rear , y axis side plates ) to correct my dual nut mistake.

Attached Files:

silopolis, GrayUK and Mike Piechowski like this.
  21. Kyo

Kyo Veteran

Six Chapter build manual has been upload to the files tab. I find it really handy to load it on to a phone or tablet to keep on hand during the build. Build video has also been published. Check the "build" tab :thumbsup: I tired to keep it short without cutting out the details. I am not use to talking when building let alone to a camera lol

eddiejr, MaryD and GrayUK like this.
  22. UltiBots

UltiBots Well-Known
    Builder

@Kyo - great use of phone/tablet for build doc that follow the video. Impressive!

Kyo likes this.
  23. MaryD

MaryD OpenBuilds Team

This is a build that anyone could do thanks to your hard work on documentation. Bravo!

Kyo likes this.
  24. Kyo

Kyo Veteran

Thanks guys, Happy to share my work. That is half the fun :thumbsup:

New zip file added to "files and drawings" tab. This is revision two of the y and x axis plates to fix my error for dual nuts. Looks like I was out only by 1.5mm each nut. Not a lot but enough. The original files are still fine if you plan on running a single nut in each axis. Now that I have my machine together; One nut really does feel solid enough.

Attached Files:

eddiejr and swohnrade like this.
  25. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I second these statements, awesome job on this Build Kyo!

26. Kyo

Kyo Veteran

Thank you! Started to lay things out for my electronics this morning. When complete you will only need to connect the cnc via quick disconnects and plug in a hdmi monitor. :thumbsup:
    Still waiting on a few odds and ends to arrive in the post before I can begin.

Also found a nice piece of tooling plate darn near the exact size needed. Score! That should be a perfect base for the Sphinx. On top will go two additional sheets of replaceable spoiler board.

Attached Files:

eddiejr likes this.
  27. eddiejr

eddiejr New
    Builder

ARe you going with a Phoenix board instead of Pi+Protoneer?

28. Kyo

Kyo Veteran

For this build yes. I only have one Protoneer hat and it will remain powering my C-beam machine. With my choice to use the larger OB high torque series motors and new dq542ma drivers. The Protoneer hat had to many features pololu sockets , nano ect. that I would not use. The Phoenix board was originally designed for cnc mills running external drivers ( g0704 / pmw-45 / ect ) It should be a perfect match for this build. I would have preferred screw terminals for my power input instead of a barrel jack however. But it will do. It is basically a purpose built Uno; so if I brick anything I can always replace the atmel atmega328p-pu chip to :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

#28 Kyo, Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  29. stargeezer

stargeezer Journeyman
    Builder

Hey Kyo,

One power supply?? Or is that just a "place holder".

I can't believe what a fantastic job you are doing with documentation. I've not ever seen anyone go to the same detail you are sharing with us. That's not a "hit" on anybody - just extremely high praise of what you are doing Kyo. Outstanding!!!

Larry

#29 stargeezer, Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    Kyo likes this.
  30. Kyo

Kyo Veteran

Thank you, It has been a learning process documenting things. I usually just dive and build with a few photos during and after. This time I am trying to step back go slower and go "If I saw this build, What Info would I want?"

Yes for now just the one 24v power supply. The control board and motors both can run 24v power natively and thanks to this awesome little ubec (rc battery eliminator circuit ) I can run the pi from the 24v as well. The motors may get a separate power supply latter, we will see how it all runs..

Attached Files:

• ubec.jpg
      ubec.jpg
      File size:
      62.3 KB
      Views:
    Mike Piechowski and rozitt like this.