Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

C-Beam XL with Aluminum Bed

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Metalguru, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

2. kylesmth

kylesmth New
    Builder

This is awesome will be following for sure

3. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

Thanks, man. It's pretty much done, just the electronics to add. Should have that covered this weekend, but its my standard electronics package I use in all the builds I do.

MG

4. PhotoSgt85

PhotoSgt85 Well-Known
    Builder

So i just wanted to drop you a line and tell you that I just ordered some V slot to do this type of thing on my C Beam XL. I was thinking of doing this already, but seeing yours gave me the confidence that this was workable. I am doing two 20X40 V slot braces underneath oriented vertically (so that the 20mm side is to the bottom face of the 20 X 80 horizontal pieces). I should have the clearance as the Cbeam actuators for the y axis should be slightly above 40mm in clearance. I choose this orientation because it will minimize flex over the Y axis of the individual pieces.

5. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

It's not really going to give you much more stiffness orienting them vertically, IMHO. If I was doing this again, I would still put the single 20x40 on the flat in between the actuators, and then simply put a piece of 1" x1" x 1/8" aluminum angle on both ends of the table, with the angle facing down, fastened with tee nuts from underneath. Put in two tee nuts for each 20x80 bed piece. This would give adequate stiffness, hold the ends of the table in alignment, and allow you to easily install tee nuts.

To be honest, making the channel ends for the table was a PITA, and unless I could find premade channel with 20mm inside width, I would not do that again.

6. PhotoSgt85

PhotoSgt85 Well-Known
    Builder

The vertical orientation is more of a compulsion than necessity as I know that there is an increase in moment of inertia with the vertical over horizontal orientation.

For the sides I am trying to figure out if there is a good option for using a 20 X 20 and binding that to ends with plates. Not sure its exact implementation yet though..

7. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

You could use the OB 2 hole joiner plates to tie in the 20x20, but you would need a lot of them. This would involve 3 or 4 times as many screws, tee nuts, and joiner plates. This would also make it difficult to add in tee nuts to the top of the table to hold things down, which is after all the whole idea.

You could also use 4 hole angle brackets overlapping each joint of each pair of 20x80's together. They could be screwed into the end holes on each pair of 20x80's.

Far simpler as I see it to just use aluminum angle and drill a few holes in it. Less weight, less work, just as stiff.

MG