Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

C-Bot

Discussion in '3D printers' started by Carl Feniak, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Val Cocora

Val Cocora Well-Known
    Builder

that is a splendid piece of machinery.
    people are also making DIY metal 3d printers with lasers and nema based actuators. not as accurate as a galvo though.
    thank you for the link.

2. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

FYI:
    I have updated the zipped stl file with new structure. I did forget to replace the bowden plate fixes I posted a page ago, so I'll do that tonight.

Muh_3d likes this.
  3. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

Bumper now added into design, thanks. Easy to miss these little details when you are designing for parts you don't actually have. On that note: my switches arrived today! I hope to try out the direct feed extruder option soon.

4. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

Sorry, it is designed specifically for the minis. The regulars would need a bunch of re-modelling to make it work.

5. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

Are you still game? I think most of the bugs have been worked out now.

6. Chris Roadfeldt

Chris Roadfeldt Journeyman
    Builder

Sure,
    Nice, thanks!

Which switches did you get? I ended up grabbing a variety of them, Keyes, YL 99, MakerBot 1.2 and have a bunch of generic mini switches from other projects. I noticed that the YL 99 and MakerBot 1.2 are both normally open switches. I modified the YL 99 to be normally closed, might do the same on the MakerBot 1.2. Have not tried the Keyes type yet...

Looking forward to hearing how the direct feeder extruder works out. The design looks simple enough, have not added it to the generator yet, FRC consumes my free time and probably will do so until March... :) Oh and I am going to abaddon the thingiverse customizer. The code is already a jumbled mess because the customizer doesn't import files... So when I get back to coding, I am going to split this up, clean it up and start adding more options. If anyone has any requests, let me know, will add it in.

Muh_3d and Carl Feniak like this.
  7. Chris Roadfeldt

Builder

Sure thing, what would you like to have? What format would you like, anything openscad supports of course.

8. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

SAT / STEP files supported?

9. Chris Roadfeldt

Builder

Yeah, gapped out the whole conversion thing.... :) Will send as a step file

What parts / options would you like?

If you want, hit me up on email.

[email protected]

10. bengineering

Builder

Hi Carl, this might be what you're doing already but any chance you can post up the assembly as a step file?

I'm planning on building one soon, and would like to make sure I'm ordering all the right stuff and potentially make some mods...

Cheers!

11. bengineering

Builder

Is anyone using something other than a 8mm 4 start (8mm pitch) lead screw? I'm trying to chase one down with a 2mm or 4mm pitch for a bit more accuracy and resolution in Z, but I can't seem to find a screw and matching brass nut for less than a million bucks...

Or am I trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist, and 8mm pitch screws are fine?

12. trublu832

trublu832 Well-Known
    Builder

I've been having pretty good stability and accuracy printing as small as 0.1mm. The 8mm lead screws seem to work fine. I'm not sure if anyone is trying to print finer than that.

13. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

How long are you looking for? Here's one but it is only 31.7 cm long (same length as I have).
    Two-Start Lead Screw and Nut, SINGLE
    Print quality issues hasn't been an issue for having a 4 start, but some have noted the ability to spin down the lead screws a bit when the bed is under weight, so your change would help avoid that.

14. Val Cocora

Val Cocora Well-Known
    Builder

try roton.

I purchased from them two pairs of trapezoidal 16x3 mm pitch, single start, 60 inch long.
    you might have trouble finding 2 mm pitch screws. most companies, I'm told, need special tooling to produce that, which is only profitable for them for large orders. the screws from roton had the smallest pitch (3 mm) for the given diameter, even if other companies had smaller pitch posted in their catalogues, but for the reason described above, they were unable to honor my minuscule order of only 4 screws.
    another name that comes to mind is nook industries.
    good luck.

p.s.
    nuts should come from the same manufacturer, for tooling reasons.
    good news is, most respected manufacturers also provide matching nuts to those screws. you should have no problem whatsoever to buy a pair.

#1664 Val Cocora, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  15. Simon-Gabriel

Builder

can i scale to to have a 500*600mm heat bed whit to much problem

16. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

No one knows yet! I've had questions about really large sizes, but haven't heard anyone go forward with them.
    I'd recommend:
    -use the new rework parts not the originals
    -use the extreme mini V-wheels instead of the Derlin ones <-- (@adamcooks, what do you think of them?)
    -Adamcooks 3 leadscrew Z axis (could try AK_Eric's or TruBlu's setup first if you wanted as most parts could be reused, but plan for the 3 lead screw setup)
    -use lower pitch Z leadscrews as there will be a lot more weight on them, 8mm single or double start, but not 4.
    -look into running on 24V instead of 12V for steppers, Azteeg X3 PRO & Azteeg X5 can take 24V, there are also probably Ramps hack as well
    -run the bed on 120AC, no point in converting all those amps to DC

#1666 Carl Feniak, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  17. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

18. Chris Roadfeldt

Builder

19. trublu832

trublu832 Well-Known
    Builder

Attached Files:

CapnBry and Carl Feniak like this.
  20. bengineering

Builder

Chasing something around 500mm I think unfortunately. Also planning on using the single Z motor, 2 lead screw variant, which I'll gear down a bit.

Based on lack and availability and cost (being in Australia limits my options a bit) I think I'll just have to go with the standard 8mm option. Cheers for the help!

BTW, what were my chances of getting a step file of the assembly?

21. Chris Roadfeldt

Builder

Touche sir. :)

I ordered a bunch of shielded cable from McMaster, overdid it a bit on the gauge and ended up with some massive cables... On the plus side I can run 10 amps to the steppers.... Ha!

22. Sk8rSeth

Sk8rSeth New
    Builder

im building a 600mmx600mm build plate version [still deciding on exact height] and this is pretty much the checklist ive made too!!

23. Val Cocora

Val Cocora Well-Known
    Builder

Attached Files:

Carl Feniak and trublu832 like this.
  24. Sk8rSeth

Sk8rSeth New
    Builder

that thing is HUGE MAN!!

25. CapnBry

CapnBry Well-Known
    Builder

I thought you might all get a kick of out of this-- when things go catastrophically wrong. I was printing a HeaterMeter case on my C-Bot in PETG and everything is looking beautiful and perfect, less than an hour to go. From this point, in my mind, there is absolutely nothing that can go wrong with this print, so I will go run some errands and come back to a perfectly print. I was not prepared to see this when I got home:

[​IMG]

Not only did the print get shifted off, and the glass build plate get moved around (which isn't easy), the IR height sensor from the front of the carriage was ripped off, and the cooling fan from the back of the carriage was ripped off. The cooling fan, it didn't come apart at the connector, or come apart where the wires are soldered to the fan, it sheared the wires off. I can only imagine how much force it takes to pull on the pair of wires to make them break.
    [​IMG]

That's when I noticed this other bit of force-exerted-improperly
    [​IMG]

The heatbreak of the E3D V6 hotend is just bent all out of whack. I removed it and tried bending it back straight with a pair of pliers but it is pretty tough material so something must have happened with furious anger to make this happen. I've spent a solid 20 minutes staring at the C-Bot and can't figure out how this could have happened. All steppers work in every direction, no unexpected resistance, no problem. The hotend temperature and heater are working A-OK. My steppers run really cool at just 0.75A (rated for 1.5A) so I can't see them overheating. It is just mind boggling.

As a side note, does anyone know of an good knockoff E3D hotbreaks? All those I see on eBay don't look like what I have, either one of the thread diameters is wrong, or the interior portion doesn't have the right profile. It's $22 for an official new little piece of metal from filastruder.

26. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

Contraption indeed, am I seeing some CNC nema23 drivers?

Val Cocora likes this.
  27. Val Cocora

Val Cocora Well-Known
    Builder

indeed.
    M542T, 5 amps.

28. Chris Roadfeldt

Builder

I've had this happen on petg prints as well. After reviewing the video and based on other experience monitoring petg prints I found the following.

In most of my failed prints, I had build up which would eventually blob onto the print and then cool. Petg being very strong meant that depending on where the blob was, I was creating a massive lip / catch for the hotend. This resulted in the bed being pushed around, poppin the X carriage off the 5mm nuts on my prusa, kicking the glass plate off the bed, etc.... The behavior was almost exactly like you discussed.

The cause for the build up was numerous.
    * Stringing: Not enough retraction, heat too high, jerk settings not correct, bowden, etc....
    * Too little filament deposited: Dialing in the filament diameter, found it required to dial it in roll by roll. Same manufacturer had a .1 variance between rolls.
    * Too much filament deposited: See above.
    * Manufacturer: I've got petg from different companies and some string more than others, though they are all prone to stringing.
    * Print settings: Not enough / Too much overlap between infill and perimeters. Print too fast / too slow. etc...

I've also had some minor curling, but resolved this by removing the 2nd nozzle of my chimera or use of a fan or turning off the fan accordingly.

All in all, I've found petg to be touchy, but it's my go to filament. Once it's dialed in, it's great. Getting there can be expensive though... :)

Carl Feniak likes this.
  29. Val Cocora

Val Cocora Well-Known
    Builder

wow, that looks like the texas chainsaw massacre of 3d printing..

30. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Journeyman
    Builder

Sorry to see that happen. What are you printing on? Looks like bare glass but you are probably using some coating. My guess is that one or more of the case's corners peeled upwards and the hotend/fan/probe collided with it (PETG isn't immune it warp, though much better than ABS). The rest of your part must have had pretty good adhesion still as that is a lot of damage.
    If you take a close look at the underside of the part, can you see a raised corner? Sometimes helps to put it on an opaque flat surface to visualize.