Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

C-OX, how about mixing my OX with the new C-beam?

Discussion in 'Concepts and Ideas' started by Josh B, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Josh B

Josh B Well-Known
    Builder

This has come about because I really want the new C-beam pate maker but I can't justify spending the funds and I really don't have the room for more cool stuff...maybe!
    I've recently made my first 1/8" aluminum part, using my Ox, and it was slow going and rather noisy due too vibration in the Z/X axis. I figured this would be the case as they really are not, in stock form, meant for milling aluminum. Now, my 3d printer design is nearly complete and I need to start cutting the plates so I can start the build.
    I can't lie, I downloaded the C-beam file and rotated the view in every direction, for about an hour, just staring at it. My thought was why not use the Y axis from the C-beam and mount it to the bed of my Ox? Then it is removable and I can still cut my balsa and ply airplane parts when needed. I'm sure I'm missing something here as I don't totally understand the forces of nature, but in my mind...why wouldn't this work?
    From that thought I came up with this.
    The c-beam would be mounted on an 1/8" steel plate which would be screwed to the Ox bed using blind nuts.
    The Y axis and slave steppers on the Ox would get servo connectors added to the ends so they can easily be removed from the controller. The new c-beam Y stepper would then be plugged into the controller. Now, I'm not sure that would work and haven't looked into any program changes that would need to be done.
    The side plates of the C-beam Y insert would be either aluminum or steel, probably steel as it's readily available and free at my place of employment.
    The 20x40 uprights would bolt solidly to the Ox gantry face and to the bottom using cast corners, this would hopefully solidify the gantry to allow easier cutting of aluminum plate.
    This hasn't done anything to address with the weak Z axis, but I'm working on that.

Just some thoughts, what do you think?

Josh

Attached Files:

2. dddman

dddman Journeyman
    Builder

I know what you did there ;)

3. Josh B

Josh B Well-Known
    Builder

Nothing yet, I'm not sure it even makes sense.