Welcome to Our Community

Unlock hidden features. Sign Up for Free Today!

calculating travel settings

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by Dale Y, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Dale Y

Dale Y Well-Known
    Builder

OK, got a rookie here. When setting up a motor, how do I calculate the correct travel speed/distance settings? I think I have an idea what I need to know, just not how to use it.

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Hi
    Calculating the steps per mm settings is easy, see C-Beam™ Machine - Plate Maker

The leadscrew is likely to be spot on from the calculation, but belts will need to be calibrated because they stretch a bit.

As for travel speed, start with 1000mm/minute and double it until it stops working, then go to halfway between the last one that worked and the one that did not work, and try again. When you find a speed that only just works, reduce to 80% of that value.
    As speed gets higher, you will need to increase acceleration as well just to keep acceleration times reasonable. Once you have a reliable top speed, double acceleration until it stops working, then reduce, and so on.

Note that a bare motor will be able to rotate and accelerate MUCH faster than one that is driving a mechanism.