Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

CAM Shopping - Anyone have good/bads for CamBam & D2nc?

Discussion in 'CAM' started by Scott594, Jan 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Scott594

Scott594 New
    Builder

I've been looking for CAM software and Gcode editor. I've found a few, There's the Vcarve series targeted mostly at router users, then these.

D2nc is a basic CAM program which integrates with Mach 3 and has wizards (subroutines) to do common milling tasks, either free generated or it will import and convert your DXF shape and then apply it's operation.

This was developed by a machine shop owner who wanted to automate common tasks. Seems taylor made for my setup. I will probably rarely run a job from start to finish CNC, but need to automate my circle cutting, drilling bolt circles, flanges etc, as well as turning repetitive profiles and flanges.

This one seems like your basic lead hammer. You gotta have it no matter how many fancy tools you have.

$79 or $215 with Mach 3 (D2nc cost is $40)
    D2nc CNC toolkit

Then we have CamBam and it's accessories/companion programs.

CamBam is a little fancier does 2.5d, has a postprocessor and seems aimed a the professional shop, but doesn't look overkill for a home shop. $149 or available in packages of several types, including Mach 3

Along with CamBam, they offer Cutviewer mill, which runs your Gcode and provides a virtual model of the part, allowing finished part measurment (even surface finish?!) and an animated cutting 'movie' of the machining operation.
    Sure seems to me it would save a lot of wasted stock and broken mills. Not cheap by itself, but reasonable in bundles with other CamBam software. $294 for CamBam & Cutviewer.

CamBam CNC Software

Does anyone have any experience using any of this software?

Both have generous trials, 15days and an extension if you ask on D2nc and 40 full uses on CamBam /Cutviewer then you are limited to 1000lines.

Download em and have a free look!!

I need to buy Mach 3 and D2nc seems a no brainer for $40 with Mach 3.

Thanks! Scott

#1 Scott594, Jan 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  2. Julius

Julius Well-Known
    Builder

My friend really enjoyed CAMBAM for his free trials, but now uses rhino cam instead. If you're not doing 3D carves, HSMexpress can do everything and is 100% free.

Scott594 likes this.
  3. Scott594

Scott594 New
    Builder

There's a lot of them out there, and most seem to have pretty generous trials. I'm probably going to start with a basic Mach 3 plug in, either the ArtSoft plugin set, or D2nc and then try running some of the others. by then I'll have a better feel what i really need. CamBam has quite a pro following it seems.

I like the concept of the Cutviewer as well, but can see where this can turn into a software 'collection' and get expensive. I may just get by with air cuts for a while on that front. They're free.

I'll download the HSM and have a look at Rhino. 2 more for the evaluation list.

Thanks, Scott

#3 Scott594, Jan 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  4. Christian Knüll

Builder

Hi,

have a look at Estlcam :
    • 2D and 3D machining
    • Integrated CNC controller with Arduino UNO
      (but of course can also create CNC programs for other controllers like Mach3, LinuxCNC or GRBL)
    • $50 but unlimited free trial with full functionality (just pauses after a while for a few seconds)

If you have any questions just ask me.

Metalguru likes this.
  5. Scott594

Scott594 New
    Builder

Thanks, Been a Arduino user since the beginning, but bought a Smoothstepper E a couple of years ago, and was hoping to use that. Maybe I'll just put it back in inventory or sell it.

This looks attractive as I have all the hardware (been building my own UNOs for a while) and I have built a dedicated PC with a parallel port anyhow (Used a micro ITX with integrated processor - intended as a home entertainment controller).
    There's room in my Rack mount box for the Uno/s.

Heck it's going to be a full time job working through all my options

Thanks!
    Scott