Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Can I use this Plunge Router?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by jnutt, Apr 20, 2015.

1. jnutt

jnutt New
    Builder

2. Joe Santarsiero

Joe Santarsiero OB addict
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

That's too heavy for the base OX. You'll have to reinforce the gantry to reduce torsion. Check hyteck s build. He's getting ready to mount that kind of weight (if he hasn't already).

3. jnutt

jnutt New
    Builder

Thanks for reply. Yeah, thats what I thought. I'll check out hyteck's. do you have a router you'd recommend for the ox?

4. Joe Santarsiero

Any hand router that you can chuck up on the z really. Dewalt 611's (at 2.2lbs) are nice imo, but others around are having good results with other similar sizes and less. I'm sure someone will chime in here eventually. I have a 7lb. Spindle myself and have opted for a more hardy build than the OX. I have a couple hand routers and they'll do the trick in wood on an OX, but then there's the other flaws of the build that don't appeal to me. The OX is a hobby machine and if you're doing hobby work then things will be fine. If however your expecting commercial quality work then you may want to consider applying that beastly Spindle you own to a commercial machine or design your own. The latter being no easy task.

5. jnutt

jnutt New
    Builder

Thanks Joe. That is what I thought. This will be my first cnc build and just for hobby, so I'm going to go this route and maybe then move on up.
    Did you design your own?

6. Joe Santarsiero

Then your probably on the right track. There are some great builds around here and some nice folks too.
    I do have a machine in development. The design is at about 90%. The physical build has recently started. Waiting on parts has been the theme lately.
    It's not an OX, but she'll make her debut here hopefully within the next couple of months.