Welcome to Our Community

Unlock hidden features. Sign Up for Free Today!

Can the X-Pro be used with DQ42MA stepper drivers?

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by stargeezer, Jul 23, 2016.

1. stargeezer

stargeezer Veteran
    Builder

I have a need to use stepper motors that draw more than 3.5amps, so the X-Pro controller's DRV4588 drivers would be exceeded. (2.5amp max) I'd like to drive the steppers with the DQ542MA, but I don't see any way of bypassing the on-board 4588 drivers.

Can anybody tell me if this is possible or not?

Thanks,
    Larry

2. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Resident Builder Builder

3. stargeezer

stargeezer Veteran
    Builder

Hi Mark.

Thanks for the confirmation, I thought I was reading that correctly. I will check with Spark Concepts just to see if they have any other ideas - and I'll post any replies I get.

4. stargeezer

stargeezer Veteran
    Builder

Hi Mark, I just found out about a controller card that will allow me to drive an external stepper driver. It's called MKS Sbase v1.2 32-bit Controller. Here is an Instructable about it; Configuring MKS Sbase v1.2 32-bit Controller basics and intro to Smoothieware. - All

It might make a nice companion item to your DQ542MA in your store.

#4 stargeezer, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  5. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Resident Builder Builder

That is really nice I have not seen this before looks cool and its running smoothie :thumbsup:

6. Metalguru

Metalguru Master
    Builder

stargeezer, why not just use an Arduino?

Or, MACH3 and a standard Breakout Board?

Or, my personal favorite, the Ethernet SmoothStepper?

Any of these can be (and must be) used with external stepper drivers like the 542.

Use your X-pro for a 3d printer...

7. RichGMD61

RichGMD61 Well-Known
    Builder

I've read somewhere on this forum of someone using an UNO with a screw shield and external stepper drivers. I my self use an UNO with CNC shield from protoneer coupled with 4 HY-DIV268N-5A stepper drivers, more than capable of handling NEMA23's.

Why people insist on using driver chips that aren't rated for driving steppers, of higher current than they should do still bemuse's me.

8. Joe Santarsiero

Joe Santarsiero OB addict
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

The op may be content with GRBL and compatible software. Bypassing the xpro drivers and sending the step and direction signals to higher rated drivers would accomplish this.

9. stargeezer

stargeezer Veteran
    Builder

Thanks for the replies gentlemen, your opinion are much appreciated. In a effort to keep challenging myself and my abilities, I'm ordering the smoothie board clone Configuring MKS Sbase v1.2 32-bit Controller basics and intro to Smoothieware. It seems to offer all the flexibility that I'll need plus the ability to drive the 542 stepper controllers that my 425oz stepper require. I've never worked with a smoothie before so it's a chance to learn something new. I can always go back to a C-10. :)

Mark Carew likes this.
  10. Metalguru

Metalguru Master
    Builder

RichGMD61, that's typically what I use, an Arduino Uno with the screw terminal shield, and TB6560 drivers I buy on Ebay. I plan on switching to the Arduino Nano with a screw terminal motherboard which will be 1/3 the size with the same functionality. There are also tons of TB6600 based drivers like the HY-DIV268N-5A available for larger motors up to 5A.

I really don't like the all in one boards, because if one driver or a chip blows, you are out $200 or more. With the external drivers, if a motor driver blows they are $12-$30 on Ebay. An Arduino is $10-$15 on Ebay. I can almost buy 3 complete systems for the cost of one board like the X-Pro. And, if I'm not mistaken, the X-Pro is essentially just an Arduino with stepper drivers and some other hardware on board, it still runs GRBL. So, it would be compatible with whatever software you are running now.

An advanced motion controller like the Ethernet SmoothStepper is a worthwhile investment, because it adds extra control, signal filtering, and stepper resonance compensation etc. I intend to experiment with some of the motion controllers available on Ebay one of these days to see if they are worth the money.

The MKS board seems to be made for 3D printer applications as it has all the extra hardware for heated bed etc, and it has drivers for NEMA 17 size motors. Seems like a waste to pay for all those drivers and extra stuff like thermistor inputs and heater relays when you are not going to use them... And, one little wiring mistake and the board is junk...

#10 Metalguru, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    Joe Santarsiero likes this.