Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Cat5e cable?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Mel Ristau, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Mel Ristau

Builder

is this cable suitable for running NEMA 23 262oz-in motors at 24v? Since its 8 conductor, maybe using 4 pairs?

2. dddman

dddman Journeyman
    Builder

It isn't the most flexible cable... if it moves a lot (like most of CNC applications) I the mtbf will be kind of low

3. Hytech2k

Hytech2k Veteran
    Builder

Most CAT5 or "e" enhanced cable isn't shielded. The shielding helps eliminate EMI. I have been using regular twisted pair 4 conductor 18 gauge security wire that's shielded on a 5' x 9' machine using 960oz Nema 34's running @ 70volts DC and I run my machine 8-10 hours a day 5-6 days a week. Just for the stiffer wire try to minimize tight bends. I try and use shielded cables wherever possible to cut down on interference, like running shielded CAT6 to my ESS smoothstepper and find it helps over the 5 and 5e varieties.

Hope this helps..

Hytech2k

4. andrew

andrew New
    Builder

I'm pretty sure it would work but too lazy to find you real numbers. It's not really designed for current, but can carry a few amps if you pair things up. + and - in each twisted pair should really bring down the EMI. Resistive losses just aren't really a big deal here. Use it if it's what you have.