Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

CNC Line Boring Machine

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by Bridge Port, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Bridge Port

Builder

Bridge Port published a new build:

Read more about this build...

GrayUK, Evan F, gwandad and 1 other person like this.
  2. Bad Sequel

Bad Sequel Well-Known
    Builder

3. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

4. Bridge Port

Builder

Thank you, Bad Sequel and Mark Carew! Thanks for the encouragement!

5. Bridge Port

Builder

Hello, JustinTime! Good questions. Right now I am using Vise-Grip brand C-Clamps with the handles to clamp my workpiece.
    I plan to install a better clamp system, I just haven't settled on one yet.

I am sending my G Code via Chilipeppr to the TinyG with an old notebook computer. The GCode I am writing by hand. I have SolidWorks and SolidCAM but for this simple task I am just writing Code by hand. It is good mental exercise. It is my understanding that Chilipeppr and TinyG do not do Canned Drilling Cycles, which is disappointing.

At the present I have 3 main files of code, 14 hole for the 32" side panels, 19 holes for the 36" side panels, and 24 holes for the 42" side panels. That is the basic runs. I have an M6 code in the middle that pauses the run so that I can unclamp and swap ends of the panel so it can drill the other side.

My "stops," right now, are just 2 boards that are screwed in place. This setup works fine for the normal sized runs, but when I do tall utility room cabinets, etc I place the workpiece on top of the "stops" which requires a change in the Z-axis zero. Not a big problem, but one I want to eliminate with stops that flip out of the way.

I have been kicking around a button for 32" panels, one for 36" panels, and one for 42" panels. The only way I know to do that would be perhaps driving it with an Arduino and GShield (aka grblShield). I think I could write the code in the Arduino with a Menu on a TFT Touchscreen. That would replace the TinyG and Chilipeppr duo. That project would definitely challenge my thinking.

Right now for the panels that are longer than my rails, I run the 42" sides first, then move the panel up on my table so I can drill the next section. I jog the head to the last drilled hole. Set Zero, and run a file of G-Code that is G91 (Incremental Move) so the code for each hole is the same, as apposed to the G90 (Absolute Move). In G91, Incremental Move Mode, since the code is the same for each hole I just copy and paste how every many more holes I need and that is my 4th file for special runs.

GrayUK likes this.
  6. Bridge Port

Builder

"I want to eliminate with stops that flip out of the way." Oops. meant to say I want to eliminate the fixed stops and install stops that flip out of the way for long panels.

7. peter28

peter28 New
    Builder

very nice build.

sorry for my bad english.

What u can do is order the rails from the blum mini press or make them your self with some aluminum t slot and some door hinges.

I worked with a blum machine before and is very easy.

The rails also have mm markings an inches i think on them so u can also drill the blum hinges , its not only the cabinet holes for 32 mm.

A while a go i was thinking of making a similar machine but now i find it better to have a cnc machine but maybe in the future i make this machine .

check around 5.02 in the video

8. Anthony Bolgar

Anthony Bolgar Journeyman
    Builder

You have built exactly what I want to...nice job. I love the 32mm system, do you follow the entire guidelines, or do you only use parts of the system?