Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Controller help..

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by kalaka, Dec 12, 2015.

1. kalaka

kalaka New
    Builder

Hello there ! I'm about to order big ox cnc kit, as newbie not know much about drivers and programs so I ask for your help and experience. in the parts list I see ---
    TinyG Upgrade:
    Add a TinyG controller to your kit(+129.99)----- ( is this one better than CNC xPRO or gShield for this ox router ?)

Also wich software should be ok ? SketchUp-----SketchUcam ---GRBL ? ..definetely I don't like chillipeppr ..I don't want to be hooked to internet every time I want to run my router.
    It seems to me that mach 3 still can be installed…. I want my machine exclusively to engraving-carving wood and I don't care if connected via usb or paraller..when I understand better this I'll order my kit
    Any help sure would be greatly appreciated

Electronics:

There are many different driver packages that can be used
    Here are a few to look at:
    CNC xPRO Driver
    TinyG
    gSheild
    Software Used:
    SketchUp Make (Free)
    SketchUcam (Free)
    GRBL Controller (Free)
    Belt & Lead Screw Calculator (Free)
    More software of interest is ChiliPeppr a nice online hardware controller
    Download more controller software to try out under the files tab

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

well, have you got a computer with a parallel port that is a not a laptop?
    if so, I would use Mach3 if you can get a decent breakout board.
    otherwise, TinyG is nice because of the constant jerk acceleration, GRBL is nice because it is cheap and there are LOT of control software options, from basic python scripts to programs like bCNC and GRBL-Panel.

I too, do not like the 'must be connected' type of software like Chillipepper. Being in Africa with 'works till you really need it' ADSL connection I will probably never even try it.

My primary controller will be a PC running LinuxCNC, but then I am an IT geek so prefer Linux anyway. But I do have various bits of hardware around so I can try out GRBL and EasyCNC etc. I even have a trial copy of Mach3 here somewhere.

3. snokid

snokid Journeyman
    Builder

4. w1987

w1987 New
    Builder

But there`s a setback with these boards with a max of 2.5 amps (barely holds 2.8 amps with sufficient cooling).
    And these stepsticks aren't as stable as other boards like the Gshield.

I own a Gshield and 4 sets(2 clones not working cause of pcb design fault) of these cnc stepstick boards and must say the Gshield is almost plug`n play, where the stepsticks are fiddly to tune and just dont pack the punch as needed

5. snokid

snokid Journeyman
    Builder

depends on which chip you get, but they are rated for 1.5A without cooling, 2.2A with.
    Pololu - DRV8825 Stepper Motor Driver Carrier, High Current

the tinyg or the newer gshield. is rated for 2.5a with cooling.
    gShield v5

If you want to go higher then you need a breakout board and drivers like this
    Stepper Motor Driver, 5A Max, Wide Range CW250 | MPJA.COM

or better yet
    http://www.geckodrive.com/g201x.html

or a all in one unit..only 3.5A though
    http://www.geckodrive.com/geckodrive-step-motor-drives/g540.html

One last thing if you are geeky you can do is use the board I linked to drive gecko 201's works but you have to be a little nerdy....

The openbuilds steppers will take up to 2.8a
    Nema 23 Stepper Motor

Are you running 12V? I have a cncxpro and that board that I linked with just the A4988 chips both run just fine but both run on 24V.

Sure you have to download the Arduino firmware onto the board and adjust the current.
    To set the current it just takes a multimeter and about 2seconds, I used to do it that way, now I run the motor and turn the pot clockwise till the motor stops, this means you are past the max setting, now I turn the pot counter clockwise till the motor starts back up, I'm at max current for the chip. All I have are heat sinks no fan, runs no problem....

Bob

#5 snokid, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  6. snokid

snokid Journeyman
    Builder

I was just out in the shop working on my c-beam machine and I forgot one thing about the Arduino cnc shield v3.10 is that unless you don't already have crimpers you need to buy some for the DuPont connectors, like these. I already had them so no big deal to me.

D Sub Crimper Dupont Crimper Servo Wire Crimper Crimping Pliers New | eBay

You could just buy some 4 pin jumpers and solder the steppers to those instead.
    Bob

7. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

@snokid Did you just crimp the connectors right onto the stepper pins? I thought about soldering to an existing 4 pin connector, but I wanted the same gauge wire from board to stepper.

8. snokid

snokid Journeyman
    Builder

I crimped them right on the stepper wires, then plugged them into the board...