Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Controlling C-Beam Machine with Arduino

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Tyler Harris, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Tyler Harris

Builder

Hi everyone,

I am looking to control my C-Beam Machine with Arduino and Grbl Shield but for some reason when i try to connect to my computer i am not able to control the cnc machine. Im not sure why i am having this issue. any help will be greatly appreciated

2. dddman

dddman Journeyman
    Builder

3. Tyler Harris

Builder

i got as far as opening the command prompt and it asking for C:\grblpath. i type in "make clean" as drected by the tutorial and command prompt just says, 'make' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Now what?

#3 Tyler Harris, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  4. John Meikrantz

John Meikrantz Well-Known
    Builder

You shouldn't have to compile like that from the command line. Follow the first part of the tutorial that @dddman referenced above - Compiling Grbl · grbl/grbl Wiki · GitHub

Follow the directions at the top section - "Via the Arduino IDE". It's relatively quick and simple. Make sure you have the most current version of the arduino IDE (1.6.6, but should work with 1.6.1 and above).

-- John

5. Tyler Harris

Builder

ok so i cant seem to get UniversalGcodeSender to work on my PC, ive downloaded java, but when i click on the .jar file nothing happens. So instead, i tried on my macbook. I was able to connect to the arduino through UniversalGcodeSender, all the commands i put in show that the arduino is recieving the commands, but the stepper motors dont move. what is wrong?

6. dddman

dddman Journeyman
    Builder

use the GRBL control panel, not the universal gcode sender

7. Tyler Harris

Builder

another impossible to install program... is there a tutorial on how to install grbl panel? i cant find any executable files.

8. Fred Quarles

Fred Quarles Well-Known
    Builder

9. Tyler Harris

Builder

Awesome, that worked great! connected right away however still no response from the stepper motors. I believe the problem is in how much power i have going into the board. i am using NEMA23 motors but the only power supply i have right now is 12v and i believe i need a 24v. is this correct? thanks everyone for your help so far