Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

CoreXY Cube

Discussion in '3D printers' started by Giuliano M, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Giuliano M

Giuliano M Well-Known
    Builder

Ball screws are out - too expensive, even with shipping from China.. or perhaps because of shipping from China.

I was looking into Hiwin HGR-20 linear rails (20mm) and carriages for the Z axis, on account of the 40x40mm V-Slot.

But the HGR20 is a bit too large, so I think I'm going to opt for the HGR15 (15mm) rails instead.

I'm probably also going to go for 16mm metric lead screws and bronze flange nuts:
    16mm (4mm Lead) x 1500mm Trapezoidal Lead Screws - Carbon Steel (C45): Accu.co.uk: Precision Lead Screws & Nuts

Also, I think I'm going to have to fabricate (or have watercut) some larger corner plates.

There's a few waterjet shops in my state, I'll see what they charge... Or maybe invest in a Plate Machine. :)

CoreXY Cube - HGR15.png

2. Giuliano M

Giuliano M Well-Known
    Builder

Long parts, tall parts, long and tall parts... :)

I have no specific use case at the moment, though I will probably use it to print out large parts for cosplay, etc. For sale.

A Filastruder + Filawinder is on my wish list...

3. Giuliano M

Giuliano M Well-Known
    Builder

Since I had to order 4 x 40x40 x 1500mm rails, I figured, eh... why not?

I added a Plate Maker kit to the list... So now I can easily make my own plates as necessary.

4. Giuliano M

Giuliano M Well-Known
    Builder

40x40 V-Slot ordered on Thursday night, just a tad too early for the Friday free shipping. :(

Quoted and ordered 4x HGR15 1500mm rails and 4x HGH 15CA rail carriages from Robotdigg, they had the lowest price at $300 for 4 sets. Other places on AliExpress had the same quoted anywhere from $420 to $750.

Once I get the Plate Maker up and running, I'll be able to start cutting out all sorts of custom plates.

5. Giuliano M

Giuliano M Well-Known
    Builder

Added these print cooling ducts to the model:

E3D Titan Aero Layer Fan Shroud for 50mm Radial by FDM_Guru

I've never had any luck printing a cooling shroud without a cooling fan (catch-22), so I will probably get a set printed in SLS nylon or something.

One pair in standard, another pair in mirrored.

CoreXY Cube - Fan Coolers.png

6. Giuliano M

Giuliano M Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks for the feedback.

I priced out SLS Nylon prints, and the lowest cost is about $20 per part, no supports required.

FDM prints were less, but needed supports...

I will try to print a set once this gets up and running... None of my printer carcasses are functional at this point.