Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Creating a large gantry for laser.

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by Nosveratau, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Nosveratau

Builder

Hi all

At the moment I have a 3.4w endurance laser attached to my Prusa Anet A8 3D printer, it works fine apart from the tiny work area of 200 x 200.

So I would like to make a large gantry for my laser, I was thinking of vslot but have no experience with it. I would like a working area of 1000mm x 750mm.

As for the electronics I have spare stepper motors and end stops that my A8 uses and was thinking of just creating an extension system that plugs into my A8 electronics, will this work?

Just looking for advice and some help with parts to make this extended gantry, also my budget is small so as cheap as possible.

Cheers

DJ

2. Nosveratau

Builder

Hi All

I have been doing some research in this area and found out that simply stating I want a 1000mm x 750mm cutting bed and expecting a solution was a bit cheeky of me as there is a lot of diversity and functionality that comes with various methods for creating a CNC system, and my initial thought for a bed for my laser only has now changed as I would get more out of a functioning CNC router with a laser attachment than just the laser itself.

My first real question in this regards is the method of movement, if I want a CNC router that is capable of cutting metals, along with wood and plastics, would a belt driven system be good enough or does it require ball screws? Also if talking about accuracy and looking for around 0.05mm what option gives this accuracy.

Cheers

DJ