Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Dogmeat's Custom C-Beam XL

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by dogmeatk, Apr 21, 2017.

1. dogmeatk

dogmeatk Well-Known
    Builder

dogmeatk published a new build:

Read more about this build...

2. Jerry Fountain

Jerry Fountain Well-Known
    Builder

I like the concept. The only challenge I might see is keeping the two far outside support rails exactly parallel to both each other and to the travel of the center Y-axis (and co-planar, it must be both). It's more of a study in how to adjust them to the correct point and then keep them there. You suffer the same with two Y-axis, but the co-planar part is automatic once parallel.

For the x-axis braces, My original thought was to to use a 45 degree bracket, but then I looked and saw they didn't have one.You might cobble something together with Black Angle Corner Connector but I don't know if the 45 degree side is truly 45 degrees. Looks like an opportunity for OpenBuilds.

3. dogmeatk

dogmeatk Well-Known
    Builder

Good to hear from you, Jerry.

I plan on carefully squaring the bed mounting holes for the side 20x20's with the gantry plate holes in the bed. Then jogging the Y axis through the entire travel before snugging the side support brackets to maximize parallelism. As for the co-planar adjustment, coarse adjustment will be done with washers on the v-wheel bolts and fine adjustment can be done with shims under the extremity brackets.

Something like these would be perfect McMaster-Carr but they are a bit too pricey for my liking. I could easily make these out of some 20x20 v-slot. Altogether, it's hard to beat the $5 bracket from Home Depot when you want to tie together 3 rails.

4. Jerry Fountain

Jerry Fountain Well-Known
    Builder

since you already have a mill, it shouldn't be hard to fabricate a 45 degree bracket. As for the Home Depot solution, you're assuming it's a true 90 degree angle. I'm not sure how much I'd trust that assumption...

5. dogmeatk

dogmeatk Well-Known
    Builder

6. Grantman

Grantman Veteran
    Builder

I see table deflection being a problem when milling out at the sides.

7. mcbuilder22

mcbuilder22 Journeyman
    Builder

I ran into the issue you're trying to solve on my build: http://openbuilds.com/builds/c-beam-2-xlarge-cnc-router.4914/

I greatly improved it by removing the MDF platform and replacing it with a 3/8" thick aluminum plate. It's not what I would consider 100% firm and rigid but it seems to be enough better to make a very noticeable difference.

8. M90Ranger

M90Ranger New
    Builder

CNC.jpg I have something similar in the works. I got the idea from Fred:

9. dogmeatk

dogmeatk Well-Known
    Builder

McBuilder, great build, I have already read through your entire discussion. Haven't seen any pictures of the aluminum plate though. I would prefer a metal bed but the costs are too high for this project. When it comes to a band-aid, I will opt for the cheaper one.

M90Ranger, interesting take on the idea but that wheel arrangement only offers deflection resistance in the "down" direction. Since you have no wheels on the underside, the top wheels will not be tensioned to the V-slot. Imagine large side loads during milling pushing those V-wheels sideways against the slot, which will push them up and out of the slot. If you consider bowing the bed between the side rail and the gantry plate, the entire row of side wheels will tilt inward because there are no opposing wheels to resist that torsion on the end of the bed.

M90Ranger likes this.
  10. mcbuilder22

mcbuilder22 Journeyman
    Builder

The last picture I uploaded shows then aluminum bed, it's under a mdf spoiler but the ends stick out.

Surprisingly the 30 x 30 inch .375 piece of aluminum was only $65 but I bought it with some other stuff.

11. dogmeatk

dogmeatk Well-Known
    Builder

Dang mcbuilder, that was a bargain! I would take that deal if i ever found it! Definitely worth $65.

I just put in my openbuildsparts order today, so I am committed to the build. I need to finish some other spring projects before I start the cbxl build though, so it might be a little while.

12. Kevin Henning

Kevin Henning Well-Known
    Builder

dogmeatk, I am setting up an arrangement similar to what M90Ranger is doing. My gut feeling (and I have nothing more than that to go on right now) is that the side forces would be mostly absorbed by the Y axis wheels.

13. dogmeatk

dogmeatk Well-Known
    Builder

That's a good point Kevin. Would you be willing to do a comparison cut when it is all finished? I think the spindle differences will be the biggest factor in judging the cut quality between our designs, what spindles are you and Ranger planning on using? I am using a 400w chinese router spindle. I also have a DW660 on hand, but the speed is bonkers for aluminum.

14. Kevin Henning

Kevin Henning Well-Known
    Builder

I can give it a shot, sure. I am using a Dewalt 611 router in my machine; I decided to go that way as I expect that the bulk of the work that I do will be in plastic or wood.