Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Double Belting

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Natekluver, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Natekluver

Builder

Hi all,

I am in the process of building an OX cnc and I have got the the stage of running the belts.
    I am going to be double belting it. Now for my question
    With the two belts in the channel it doesn't leave alot of room for the upside down T nut.
    For those you are running double belts did you use the upside down T nut or some other method to hold the belts in there?
    Thank you
    Nathan

2. nate campbell

Builder

I used a small piece of angle aluminum with a t nut on the side and two threaded holes on top for fasteners

3. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

The simplest method is just to run the belts through the end plate and clamp them off on the outside.

4. Jestah

Jestah Well-Known
    Builder

@Natekluver so long as the belt runs under two wheels before going over the timing pulley (side plates not the carriage axis) there is actually no need to lock of the top timing belt. Once this belt goes under that flat section between the two wheels the pull force is transferred down to the bottom belt and double sided tape. Clamping that top belt is less important to me than having a way to lift the motor and remove any belt slack between the timing pulley and those first two wheels.

If you did want to run double belt and use a screw and tee nut an other option is to trim the lower belt back just a bit from the end so that there is a small space for you to get a tee nut in before the lower belt starts. I like to put a layer of copper shim between the belt and screw to help the belt from being damaged while being compressed. I also find that a shim layer can reduce the belt twisting as you snug the screw down. I would also cut the lower belt with a taper to help the top belt transition smoothly down onto the bottom of the v slot channel

Good luck and good on you for double belting as the performance boost is amazing!

5. Natekluver

Builder

Thank you everyone for your quick responses, I now have a few ideas I can try and see what works well for me.
    I appreciate the time you all took to reply

Nathan

Jestah likes this.
  6. Hamdi Hirzallah

Builder

just for those who might have trouble getting results when searching for this kind of drive. it's actually called a belt and pinion system (maybe dual in case of the added bottom belt).

sharmstr likes this.