Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Duel drive motors on Axis

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Wylie, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Wylie

Wylie New
    Builder

HI,
    Can anyone help me.
    If I use two stepper drive motors on a single axis, will this reduce the power out put from the control board, thus reducing the speed of the stepper motors?
    Also would these steppers need to be synchronized in anyway?
    Thanks for any help
    Steve

2. Marcus Wolschon

Builder

Both steppers would have their's owners driver boards and get the same STEP+DIR signals from them control board.
    As long as your power supply can keep up, this does not not reduce force or speed.
    Since they share the step signal, they are synchronised. On a belt this would work.

Before going this way, see that you have maxed out what you can do with a single stepper (supply voltage, only as much micro stepping as absolutely necessary,...)

3. Wylie

Wylie New
    Builder

Hi Marcus.
    Thanks for your answer.
    I'm looking at using lead screws for the slides.
    I asked about the power of the drives because the breakout boards only have 1X axis, 1Y axis, 1Z axis output terminal. So I was assuming the power output would be shared, if I wired two motors into a single terminal.
    Thanks
    Steve

4. evilc66

evilc66 Journeyman
    Builder

Breakout boards don't handle much in the way of power. They are signal generators. You can hook up multiple stepper drivers to a single axis channel on the breakout without issue, and then you can connect one stepper to each driver. The high current power lines are connected at the driver itself, not the breakout.

5. Wylie

Wylie New
    Builder

Hi evilc66,
    I'm still trying to fully understand the electronics side of a build.
    Thanks
    Steve