Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Durability of Open Slot rails using metal V-wheels...?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Tony LaBelle, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Tony LaBelle

Builder

Hello All,
    Was wondering if anyone could advise durability of the Open slot rails using metal V wheels. I've had mixed information stating the anodizing doesn't last very long. Are the parts Hard anodized or just decorative? Thanks for advising.

Tony.

2. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Hello Tony,
    The OpenRail black anodize is just for looks so running the steel v wheels on the track is not advised. You can run the Delrin V Wheel on the OpenRail without any issues.
    If you need to use the Steel V Wheels you will want to look for steel V track that you can mount to V-Slot for your build.
    Hope this helps

3. Tony LaBelle

Builder

Hi Mark,
    Ok thanks abunch for clarifying. Has the OpenBuilds team ever ran a test to see how long the Delrin lasts in the open track configuration? I'm trying to figure out how often I'll have to replace the wheels with moderate use conditions, (mainly machining Aluminum material).
    Tony.

4. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Hi Tony,
    We have not tested them this way but I can say that we have run our OX CNC machine for over two years without having to replace them.
    I would say as long as you are patient taking shallow multi-pass cuts and do not push the machine trying to hog though materials. I see the wheels lasting a very long time. :)

GrayUK likes this.
  5. Tony LaBelle

Builder

Sounds great Mark, I'll definitely use the delrin V slot wheels. Thanks again for the support.

Tony.

Mark Carew likes this.