Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Edge lit sign channel???

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by snokid, Dec 23, 2015.

Tags:
  1. snokid

snokid Journeyman
    Builder

2. Robert Bailey

Robert Bailey Well-Known
    Builder

I ended up making my own wooden base. I spent several nights looking for something that was cheap enough not to hurt but gave up. I am in the process of drawing up several sizes. started with a 17 inch wide and now working on a 6 and 10 inch version. using 3/4 popular for the bottom base and 1/2 inch to hold the acrylic

Attached Files:

3. snokid

snokid Journeyman
    Builder

Thanks Robert
    I do have a question, what thickness acrylic did you use?
    what I would like to be able to do is something larger and 2 pane like this video. but 60.00/meter would end up costing me 200.00 plus acrylic....
    thinking I could run some oak on the router table with a t-slot bit then wrap the acrylic like a picture frame.
    Bob

4. Robert Bailey

Robert Bailey Well-Known
    Builder

I picked up 1/4 inch from piedmont plastic here in Knoxville. they sell every thickness and color you will ever need. there is about 4 companies here that sell acrylics and the price varies with each.
    I got some out of their cut bin. 4 24x24 pieces for a around $50. home depot was $24 for one 24x24 piece. I have just made 2 signs so far for my nephew, after everyone saw the one I did for his wedding table
    this past Saturday I have over 20 signs I am going to make, and so far the hardest part of the process is the dang base.

5. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

I have been toying with the idea of making multi-coloured lit signs, by using two or three sheets of plastic, about 3 to 4 millimeters thick, and then edging each with fibre-optic strands, lit from an independent, sealed light source. Although I don't know yet, what the bleed effect of putting two or three sheets together might be, without a spacer between them, but I think a piece of tape used to keep each sheet edge apart, will stop bleed of one colour sheet into another.
    The next move would be to get a timed feed to each sheet, thereby causing a possible cascade effect if needed, through the sheets, depending on the cut design.
    It is just an idea at the moment.

Gray