Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Effects of Cool Mist on MDF spoiler board

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Bob R, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Bob R

Bob R New
    Builder

I have a Cool Mist system I've mounted on my CNC. I haven't run the coolant through it yet. It's for cooling/lubrication while doing aluminum cuts. My spoiler board is MDF.

Has anyone used the Cool Mist system to know if this is incompatible with an MDF spoiler board? Should I use an alternate material for the spoiler, like plastic or something else? Or is the mist so fine that it 100% evaporates leaving nothing to be absorbed by the MDF?

Thoughts and recommendations from those that have prior experience with this would be helpful.

2. millerized

Builder

Based on my use of it on a Tormach 1100, it will eventually build up and run off on steel. Will it swell the MDF? I'd guess it would eventually, or break it down/ powder it. I'd try a few small drops on an inconspicuous corner of your machine, or a tablespoon on scrap piece and put it in a ziplock bag for a few days. Unless you have zero humidity and a guarantee it will evaporate completely between each use, I'd consider it 'building up' eventually on an absorbable surface. Short answer, test it and see.

3. Bob R

Bob R New
    Builder

Thanks. I did do some tests. MDF can't tolerate the mist over long term. Yes it swells up. So my plan is to use HDPE for the spoiler board.

millerized likes this.