Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Electronic setup

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by Swetag, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Swetag

Swetag New
    Builder

Hi everybody!

Im currently doing some research befor i order the parts and start building my own CNC, the current issue im facing is the electronic.

I believe that im going to use the xPro board because of the USB connector and the price. Im alsogoing to use three Nema 23 motors for the y/x axel, believe that more power would be better and one Nema 17 for the z axel since it wont pull that much of a weight. Any other suggestions are appreciated.

The issue that im facing is how to connect the power to everything, but from what i can understand the motors are powered through the board. According to the specs of the board, i could use a 12v psu, but is that enough to power the motors or do i need 24v at the risk of burning the board?

2. w1987

w1987 New
    Builder

https://github.com/synthetos/grblShield/wiki/Using-grblShield

Hope this helps

3. Joe Santarsiero

Joe Santarsiero OB addict
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Use the highest voltage and lowest inductance motors that you can get.

4. John Meikrantz

John Meikrantz Well-Known
    Builder

I went with all NEMA23 motors on my build, using xPro for the controller. Currently have a PC/ATX power supply that is running everything, and I have no complaints! Seems like plenty of power, performance is good, no stalling, etc. Have mostly cut wood and polycarbonate at this point.

-- John

5. Sonny Jeon

Sonny Jeon Well-Known
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

In my experience, the most important thing is to have a good high-voltage power supply to driver your steppers. The higher the voltage, the more torque and max speed you can get out of your steppers. I typically run my steppers right below the highest rated voltage the driver board will accept. Most boards are limited to 30V, so I run about 28V. Just beware that the board voltage limit(30V) is typically lower than the stepper drivers (35V). Usually due to the power regulator. Don't exceed either limit.

6. stargeezer

stargeezer Journeyman
    Builder

I'll add that going with Nema 23 for the Z axis might be a good idea. The every so capable 17 will work with most spindles, but if you ever decide to run a water cooled spindle, you will wish you had done it in the first place. I'd suggest a 270oxin. 2.3amp stepper. Or just order the same stepper all around.

My personal point of view is that 270ozin motors are all a "normal" Ox needs. But I'll bet there aren't too many "normal" ox's out there. :)