Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Embroidery machine with XY belt and pinion drive.

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by sausagePaws, Apr 22, 2014.

1. FRIDGE

FRIDGE New
    Builder

just had another flash of brilliance ...haha ... how about using the z axis as a break ??? Just lifts up to a cam and releases a switch/power to the sewing machine motor ..... z axis doesnt have to be part of the work piece ???? eh ??? lol

2. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team

Another interesting idea but I am afraid it may be a little on the slow side with regards to reaction time but thank you for your suggestion - I can never have too much help with this.

The main shaft will be rotating at >300 RPM and the object is to complete all X -Y movements without ever having to stop the main shaft unless a particular X-Y movement is too great to be completed in the available time. This can all be accomplished easily when software limiting stitch length to <4mm but there will always be exceptions which will cause the problems. :)

Tweakie.

3. Vinicius

Vinicius New
    Builder

Hello sausagePaws,

Awesome!! Amazing.
    I'm searching to build embroidery machine like yours. Could you please share more information about the software you used?

Thanks!

4. Spencer Roach

Builder

This is absolutely amazing sausagePaws! I'm so glad I found this post. I have an embroidery machine and I'm always thinking of ways it could be improved. This post shows me that it might actually be possible!

What I'd love to do is replace the "computer" of the machine with something faster and more open (like Raspberry Pi). I'd also love to be able to use all the available sensor input (and maybe add some of my own!) to improve stitch balance. Last, but not least, I'd love to construct a new embroidery unit that's faster than the existing one. Or, at least tweak the "settings" of the existing unit so it can utilize the full speed of the machine.

Have you made any advancements on your design since your original post?

5. Spencer Roach

Builder

Excellent work! Just the fact that you were able to process a Tajima file is impressive!

So, how is your stitch length regulated? Is it by varying the speed of the main shaft, or the speed of the X-Y movement of the hoop, or both?

Were you able to nail down the handling of large/jump stitches?

Again, excellent and inspirational work!

6. stargeezer

stargeezer Journeyman
    Builder

My wife is a machine quilter so we have this 12' quilting machine in her sewing room that's begging to be automated! Ever since I started playing around with this CNC hardware I've been thinking about how to make it all work. I really think the hardware would be simple, but for me the issue is the software. I'm running Vectric cut2D and Mach 3 on my CNC Router and I think it would be a snap to use this combo on a quilting machine.

What do you think?

BTW, she owns a couple Husqvarna embroidery machines and I buy her a new one every few years. If I were to skip her upgrades for one cycle, I could buy a very high power laser cutter.......:)

7. Kyo

Kyo Veteran
    Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

Tell me about it, I am a long arm quilter myself. I prefer Gammill long arm's in general for my work. How ever I also have a older 12ft Juki "workhorse" for my micro work ( not a very deep throat so limited on how much I can roll up) not to mention the mixture of Pfaff and Bernina machines I have for piecing and general work. Hands down my most expressive hobby / job. At least when work is good it all comes back :)

8. stargeezer

stargeezer Journeyman
    Builder

Yep, Gammill is THE Best!!! We made the poor choice of buying a different brand first and spent 4 years getting poor, poor quality results, losing several thousand dollars and got fewer than 100 quilts done. We did that the first year after buying our Gammill. She'd love the Statler Sticher added to it (an I'd buy it if she would say yes), but 15,000 plus $2000 for installation is a big bite for a hobby. And when you look at what you get for the money It's just a ripoff. A dell computer, 2 steppers, some mounts, notched belts and a breakout board for $15,000 is ridiculous to me. I'm all for a businessman making a profit but even buying the absolute best components you can find it's at most a $1500$2000 purchase, not $15k!

I'm sure I can build it for much less and it won't even need the Dell computer attached.

9. ST162

ST162 New
    Builder

Hello,

I could not find where to source the Plate (supporting motors/rollers, etc). Is it homemade?

10. Peter Lachmann

Builder

11. ab1970

ab1970 New
    Builder

sir i want g code software for cnc embroidery will u guide me

12. Anthony choo

Builder

hi i am a newby. i deal with embroidery machines. the mechanicals are not so big of a problem. what i am wondering is what software do you use to control the whole system and to read the dst files(tajima machine files)

13. Angelobf

Angelobf New
    Builder

Hi Congratulations, I'm trying to put one together for my wife and I would like to know under the electronics and the soft used

14. sweetbb

sweetbb New
    Builder

Is anybody making any progres here? This is really an interesting topic. I have an embroidery machine, and it cost an arm and a leg, and now it is beyond end of life. If it breaks now, it cannot even be fixed. By being able to use (almost) any regular sewing machine, would be really nice, if the sewing machine breaks, just replace it with another one.

15. ST162

ST162 New
    Builder

Hello Enthusiastic,

I have been pondering my brains to put my dream of embroidery machine. Some question if anyone can help would be a bonus.

(A) Eclipse programming language has been used for creating Java based control screen used on Android tablet. What is the link between this control screen and the type of embroidery designs? Is there another software that is linked for selecting style and type of embroidery designs?

(B) The PIC chip also monitors the:

(a) mains zero crossing and
    (b) controls the trigger delay for the TRIAC - used to control power to the sewing machine motor. Both these circuits are opto-isolated to ensure separation from the main supply.

Can (a) and (b) done in the foot paddle switch where it controls motor speed and power to the sewing machine?

(C) There is a mention about using Pulse Width Modulation to control the maximum drive current of the motor. Is this done by Arduino Uno or similar?

(D) Hence, both circuits are opto-isolated to ensure separation from the main supply. Help required with designing these two circuits.

(E) No mention of Arduino Uno or similar. Cannot be seen in Youtube video either.

(F) Not sure where Needle position sensor wire is connected to the circuit

I am sure someone will out there knows the answers. So please, lets share the knowledge!

16. Framboise68

Builder

17. José Rodolfo Mantovani

Builder

Hello, I wonder how he did to read embroidery hue. If you can share the source code.
    Thank you

18. José Rodolfo Mantovani

Builder

Hi, @Tweakie, you could help me, as you did on the embroidery machine to interpret the embroidery file, I'm wanting a tip because I intend to put together a machine like my college work.
    Thank you.

19. Tim Curtis

Builder

If you already have a long arm table and machine then automating it should be a breeze. You only have to control the motion. The stitch regulator built in the the long arm machine will handle the stitches.

20. Dharmveer kapoor

Builder

Can you sale control to us

21. Juanjo Martinez

Builder

Awesome work. Can you get that software?
    Thank you so much