Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Feed Rates with OX

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by leversole, Nov 4, 2016.

1. leversole

leversole New
    Builder

Just revisting speeds and feeds...Making sure I am understanding...

I cut pine and MDF...I use a Makita router at 30000 rpm and carbide two flute spiral mills

My usual settings are .060 depth of cut and 50ipm

Now looking some of the info from the bit manufactuers and other internet sources, it looks like I should be feed MUCH faster, even though (and maybe it is just inexperience and low volume), my bits typically stay sharp and cool.

MDF and Pine chip loads are around (from various sources) .005-.008 inches, if I use Feed Rate=30000 X 2 X .005 I get 300 IPM! And that is at 1D depth!

If I am thinking correctly, I need to speed up my feed, or turn down the router (it is variable speed)

Do I have a good understanding? What do you guys run for router speed, DOC and Feed rate on your oxes (oxen?!?)

Thanks
    Leslie

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

When I was cutting parts for a 3D puzzle out of 5.2mm under layment plywood, I was running at 2540.0mm/min (100 IPM)
    with a bit diameter of 3.2mm and cutting through the 5.2 mm ply in one go. I had my Makita running at the lowest speed, so approximately 10,000 rpm. I started higher (approximately 15000), but slowly lowered it because I had my doubts at first. ;) It cut with no problem.

If you are not burning the wood and you are happy with the results, stick with it. Or, experiment with scrap.