Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Frame mod 1500x1500 ox max, plates needed!

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Jonny Norris, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Jonny Norris

Jonny Norris Well-Known
    Builder

I'm intending the mod pictured below to reduce lateral flex in the y profiles, which there is a fair bit atm, and need some aluminum cut for the corner plates. can anyone help? cheers.... oh and just so you know, if anyone is thinking of doing the same.. this is something i just thought up and is not tried and tested. personally i think it will work - the extra vwheels will go both on top and below the extra profile with eccentrics on the bottom wheels. thinking i can also run my cable carrier on the extra profile as well :) but please feel free to comment with any concerns

[​IMG]

#1 Jonny Norris, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  2. sgspenceley

sgspenceley Veteran
    Builder

Hi Jonny, I'm happy to help, if you don't mind paying for shipping from Canada.

I use a very good company who does very accurate laser cutting of stainless or mild steel or water jet cutting of aluminium. They cut all my 1/4" aluminium plates which I'm very pleased with.

Typical turn around is 5-7 days from when the CAD part is sent in. http://cimmetals.com/

Jonny Norris likes this.
  3. Jonny Norris

Jonny Norris Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks sgspenceley, I shall email over the drawing for a quote. yes, forgot to mention i am in the UK, so can imagine shipping from canada may be a little rich for me tbh but we shall see.. thanks, in mean time still looking for quotes people. cheers

sgspenceley likes this.
  4. snokid

snokid Journeyman
    Builder

your only attached at the ends, don't know how much flex it's going to take out.
    Bob

5. Jonny Norris

Jonny Norris Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks for your input justin, the horizontal is a 60mm.. im not sure a 20 or 40 would be rigid enough. the flex i'm trying to reduce is in the horizontal direction. this is a modification to my existing frame so adding an extra 80mm vertical profile isnt really an option now as that would mean widening the two y gantry plates which wouldn't be ddifficult just extra vwheels n spacers. but im my case that would mean buying longer x profiles as well as they go through the inner gantry plate and attach to the outer plate. (see pic) otherwise that would be a better solution, just not ready to rebuild the entire frame just yet. hence this mod.

very true, tho the flex i am trying to reduce is in the horizontal direction hence why i have laid the profile on its side, and id say a 60mm profile is pretty rigid across its widest dimension. you have however inspired an idea in the event of it not doing the trick to add leg supports, and bolt to the stand. thanks for the input!

[​IMG]

sgspenceley likes this.
  6. snokid

snokid Journeyman
    Builder

what about some L brackets and more wheel's?

7. snokid

snokid Journeyman
    Builder

oh crap I just noticed the extra wheels in you drawing. that should work.

Jonny Norris likes this.
  8. Jonny Norris

Jonny Norris Well-Known
    Builder

i think so.. one each side. trying to keep it simple but a few fixed legs on it would also help stop any vertical flex. :)

9. Jonny Norris

Jonny Norris Well-Known
    Builder

No I only have the one 20x80 on the y? there are no 2040's? And can't add more as explained above. your looking at the x, which is 2 2060's. the flex this mod hopefuly will reduce is in the y. as for the x have done exactly that, they are bolted and epoxied... still has flex in the x mind u. but thats another story.

#9 Jonny Norris, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015