Welcome to Our Community

Unlock hidden features. Sign Up for Free Today!

Gantry Plate Assembly Issues

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Russell Zauner, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Russell Zauner

Russell Zauner Well-Known
    Builder

Hi,
    I searched the forum to see if there were some solutions posted already and didn't find anything. Please add links to posts if there are.

I just got the C-Beam Actuator Bundle, and in assembling the Gantry Plate section I have a couple issues:
    1. The wheel assemblies that make up the guide portion; the bottom nuts are blocked with C-Beam so that it cannot slide.
    2. Tightened up just enough to keep them stable, the mini-wheel bearings are not turning smoothly. If I back off of them, they move around and will assumedly not stay attached.

I am not completely new to mechanical things, but I am not an expert either. This is my first experience with building all the moving parts that go inside an actuator/stage and I would be grateful for any guidance (no matter how obvious it may seem) from those more experienced with these components.

Thanks

-russ

2. GrayUK

GrayUK Master
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

If you could post some pictures of what you have so far, perhaps we can work out the problems.
    Gray

3. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

Issue #2 sounds like you didn't put the shim inside the wheel between the bearings.

[​IMG]

For issue #1, did you put a shim just underneath the nut? As the picture shows, one shim should be between the spacer (regular or eccentric) and the top bearing. The other should be inside the wheel.

4. Russell Zauner

Builder

Attached Files:

5. Russell Zauner

Builder

Are there more drawings like this? I was following the quick build out at YouTube and I guess I didn't catch the shim going inside. I'll try and get them apart and fix. That would explain the additional stack height, though. I thought there were detents inside the wheel that the bearings installed against, to keep them from pushing through...Thanks!

6. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

There are more drawings but unfortunately there is no central repository for them. That drawing actually came from the parts store page which is often a good source of information.

The detents keeps the wheel from working its way off the bearings. But it also creates a gap at the outer rim of the bearing to where when you pull the inner rings of the bearing together it locks up the bearing.

GrayUK and Mark Carew like this.
  7. Russell Zauner

Builder

Yep. Learned that. Interesting. I recently started working for a mechanical analysis team and while a very experienced engineering technician (20+ years, across a broad swath of fields/disciplines), I haven't done a lot of work with detailed mechanical designs/builds. So I'm learning like mad - but I do learn fast.

8. Russell Zauner

Builder

And yes, it's working now. Thank you for the guidance.

Mark Carew likes this.
  9. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

Out of all the Openbuilds parts, that internal shim is pretty much the only "gotcha" I can think of. And admittedly, it got me first time around too.

10. Russell Zauner

Builder

Well, it shipped with a different lead screw block - came with the anti-backlash. But with the guidance you've given me, I just went to the parts page and got a direct look at it. I did end up with extra 3mm spacers - but I know where those go. Under the block lol.

Thanks again. :)