Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Gantry Type CNC with Makita Router

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Rick Holder, May 16, 2017.

1. Rick Holder

Builder

Rick Holder published a new build:

Read more about this build...

2. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Great job on this Build @Rick Holder thank you for the share :thumbsup:

3. Rick Holder

Builder

Thank you Mark for you comment and Ryan for the likes. Has anyone else used the iOS app 'Replicantis' (free to play with and one off cost is about £4.00 to export the code) for designing parts and creating Gcode? I think it is brilliant due to its easy to use features, especially the virtual visualiser and an all in one work flow. When I started to get into CNC I was surprised that it needed at least three bits of different software to run. Replicantis is 'cool' and hope others builders will have a look. Just to note, I am not connected in any way to the developer of the app.

4. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Cool! Too bad it is only iOS and not available in other formats.

5. Rick Holder

Builder

Hi Giarc, yes me too. If I knew how to programme I would want to make a cross platform open source all in one program with the ability to send the code straight to the machine. It would have a customisable, touchable graphics interface that you could pick and choose options applicable to your machine. Makers could share their options too via downloadable plugins. If there is already one, please let me know!

6. galou

galou New
    Builder

Nice build! Would you by chance share the design of the adapter for the Makita router. I like the fact that you used the original holder. Thanks!

7. Rick Holder

Builder

Hi, Galou, thank you for your message and sorry for the slow reply, I haven’t logged on for a while. All I did was to use a 25 x 25mm Aluminium u channel bolted to the original Makita sleeve fixed to the Z arm. It worked well for timber cutting but was not rigid enough for plastic so I took it off and made two collars as is the norm. I will make another version for the Makita sleeve at some point and will post pics etc when I do as I liked the ability of quick removal of the router for tool changes off the machine, it’s a lot easier.