Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Grbl 1.1 won't flash to arduino

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Travis Hamilton, Dec 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Travis Hamilton

Builder

Hey guys I am new to this arduino thing hoping to run a cnc plasma table with it. So I bought an uno and I have been trying to flash grbl to it I followed all the instructions that I found but arduino ide says there is not enough room for grbl I know very. 1.1 is pretty new so is it to big to fit? Or am I doing something wrong??? The grbl file seems to try to upload but then a message about the size followed by an error message. Hope someone can help..... Thanks

2. Travis Hamilton

Builder

Ok I think I got it to flash I changed the ports seemed to work but not sure how to check it??? Ugs will not work on my computer can not find anything to run the programming in the jar file any ideas??? I tryed to update Java and I can't tell if it is updating or not this whole thing is really frustrating if I can get ugs to work I think I am good any help would be great thanks!

3. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

says 'error this is too big' or WARNS that it might be too big? the warning is normal and it will still work.

run UGS using the batch file supplied in the distribution, Java needs some memory parameters set to make it happy, and the batch file does it for you. try running it from a command line instead of just double clicking it. I can remember some issue with this but cannot recall how I fixed it (-:

alternately if you are running Windows you can use GRBL-Panel
    note that no matter what you use as a GUI you MUST download the latest version so that it matches GRBL 1.1 which uses a new communication protocol. older UGS etc will not understand it.

4. Travis Hamilton

Builder

Thanks for the response so I downloaded grbl panel and I can't get it to run either anything I click on does nothing not sure why nothing will open and run I am running windows 7 which should be ok and latest Java so what am I missing here??

5. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

you need to select the correct COM port and Connect to the Arduino before the panel can do anything.
    AND the arduino must have GRBL loaded before this can work.

6. Travis Hamilton

Builder

Ok I did not have arduino plugged in at the time but I thought the grbl panel would still open nothing opens at all when I click on anything in grbl panel file I will try again after work. Grbl I think is loaded on the arduino I used a different com and it seemed to have no errors this time and one of the LEDs stopped flashing and stayed on so I think I have it. Wanted to get a g code sender working to see if it actually is loaded. Thanks for all the input so far just when I want to throw this thing out the window I get a little hope it might still work. Lol

7. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

I have had no issues with GRBL Panel. This is probably why I have never tried anything else. But, I did as you did and tried to open it without the Arduino hooked up and it didn't work. I did this because someone asked me what my settings were and I thought they were stored in GRBL Panel and I wanted to take a quick screenshot. Thankfully the settings weren't stored there when I had a problem with my computer and had to reinstall everything.

8. Travis Hamilton

Builder

Also wondering what file to click on to open grbl panel I just clicked on the ones I thought might open it but not really sure

9. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

after you extract all of the zip files, you open the application file.
    Untitled.png

10. Travis Hamilton

Builder

The grbl panel master zip I downloaded I extracted and I do not see any application files at all. This is driving me nuts!

11. Travis Hamilton

Builder

Good news I figured it out!! I had the folder with just files and I read I needed to go to the releases page at git hub and found the one with the exe file. Thanks for all the help. I am sure this won't be the last time I call on you guys for help.

GrayUK likes this.
  12. Ronald van Arkel

Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

Hello Travis,

Even I could not find the executable the first time I downloaded it, and this comes from a guy that was in the IT for a long (enough) time.

Take a look at EstlCAM, it's free to try and can be bought later if you like it. Much better then anything I've seen that controls GRBL. Or use David´s SketchUcam (free to use) and disable autosave in SketchUp. Another option is Inkscape with the CAM plugin (both free to use), actualy, Inkscape might be the best for you as you only use the CAM 2D.

-Ronald

13. Mariselvan

Builder

Just go to the grbl 1.1 version in the github and download the grbl v1.1.hex file. After that download the Xloader to upload the .hex file into the Arduino uno. That's all it will work. Hope you will understood.