Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

H-Bot CoreXY Cube

Discussion in '3D printers' started by Giuliano M, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Giuliano M

Giuliano M Well-Known
    Builder

So, I was thinking to myself... what if I used the longest closed-loop GT2 belt that RobotDigg had to offer?

That would be the 1524mm-long 762 Tooth GT2 belt:

http://www.robotdigg.com/product/160/1524mm-long-762-tooth-6mm-wide-2gt-endless-belt

It resulted in a vertical build space of about 650 mm!

I figure I might as well do it this way - the springs are long enough.

I also upgraded the rods to 10mm diameter, with 10mm KFL000 pillow block bearings.

The vertical V-slot supports would need to be cut to about 838 mm long - which is fine since I already have 1000mm-long lengths.

H-Bot CoreXY Cube - Sketchup Build 2.jpg

2. Giuliano M

Giuliano M Well-Known
    Builder

Designed an adapter part to mount a 5015S blower fan to the back of the hot end carriage.

The fan gets screwed to the plastic part (the white piece) with 20mm M4 screws, or some other coarse-thread screw that's about 4mm in diameter.

And then the adapter plate just snaps on to the back of the gantry plate with press-fit snap pegs.

I'm still working on an air duct to direct the air from the cooling fan to just under the extruders.

Hot End Fan 1.png

Hot End Fan 2.png

3. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team

I certainly like the idea of the snap-fit pegs - excellent solution to mounting the blower. :thumbsup:

Tweakie.

Mark Carew and Giuliano M like this.
  4. Giuliano M

Giuliano M Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks - the pegs printed nicely in ABS, flexible enough to be squeezed without snapping.

Don't have a plate yet to test the fit, but I'm sure it will be fine.

The widest part of the pegs comes out to 5.2 mm.

5. Giuliano M

Giuliano M Well-Known
    Builder

Managed to get a Machinekit / LinuxCNC image running on my BeagleBone Black with the CRAMPS cape...

Even though they have a BBB/Cramps configuration pre-loaded, it will take some work to customize it for CoreXY on the X/Y axis.

Also, I've been contemplating two different methods of homing for the Z axis - with dual motors, it's possible to configure it with two endstops in a gantry configuration, so that each end of the Z gantry homes to two independant switches - a form of auto-leveling, so to speak.

The other method is the Z bed probing with the hot end and piezo sensors, like we discussed earlier.

I'm not entirely sure if it's an and/or scenario - possibly both can be used, maybe.

There's some logic in Machinekit / LinuxCNC for gantry homing, so I'll have to check that out...

6. TomH

TomH Well-Known
    Builder

That's great news! I'm sure you'll figure out how to enable core xy kinematics. Check out this thread:
    http://emc-users.narkive.com/pWFw1zcE/corexy-kins-and-the-beagleboneblack-with-machinekit

Though dual Z leveling sounds intriguing, I would avoid it on a couple of fronts. Foremost, though minutely on small scale, a cantilevered build plate would cause each side to move inward, stretching your belts. Secondly, it adds unnecessary complexity.

Z bed probing w/piezo sensors will fully address leveling issues all by itself and not only address cantilever issues but also plate flatness issues as well.

Best of luck!

7. TomH

TomH Well-Known
    Builder

Also love the snap-fit solution. I'd be happy to test it out on my plate - could you upload the skp or stl? I have a different fan/duct mount in mind for mine (integrated w/hot end) as I plan to use the other side for additional hot ends (for future quad printing or a direct drive setup). Snap pegs might work for a quick release on my hot-end mount but I would like to try it out first.

8. boelle

boelle New
    Builder

any updates on this one?

9. Giuliano M

Giuliano M Well-Known
    Builder

Sorry, started a new job about a month ago and haven't had time recently.

I will probably catch up with it in a few weeks, and maybe order some parts so I can start building the frame.

10. boelle

boelle New
    Builder

np, i will keep an eye on it as the local makerspace is looking to build about the same as you but just with 600*600*600 build volume instead...

insane yes but hey there might be a challange or 2 in this :-D

11. Giuliano M

Giuliano M Well-Known
    Builder

Resurrecting an old/dead build thread, now that I have both time and money to actually do something about it.

Core XY on top, and 4 x Openbuilds 8mm Lead Screws for the Z axis.

I've found that the Nema 17 motor plate fits perfectly in the middle of the X/Y carriage, so it should work pretty well with one of the new E3D Titan Aero geared extruders - either with a v6 head, or a Volcano..

One aspect I'm trying to stick with this build is NO printed parts in the mechanics - I don't have a functional printer right now, so printing parts is out.

Attached Files:

12. NaterNoris

Builder

I really like the design of your printer, I'm currently working on a design similar to yours but yours has inspired me to change my idea. thanks, it really is a nice looking machine.