Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Hello

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Tekkski, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Tekkski

Tekkski New
    Builder

I'm new here and thought I would pop in and say hi!

My plan is to build the OX and I hope to be able to use it mainly for MDF routing (home theater subs) but once I get comfortable I possibly may want to be able to use it for small plasma cutting as well. Ultimately I would love to be able to cut 4x8 sheets but the minimum surface I need is 26x26. I'm thinking 36x36 could be a nice middle ground. 48x48 so that I can just split a 4x8 sheet in half would be cool too. What has worked well for you guys?

I'm in IT by trade and dabble in programming, RC/FPV, offroad, motorcycles and audio.

I must say that the below video is helped me make the decision so if you are on here... THANKS!

I plan on lurking for a bit and reading up as much as I can in the meantime.

2. Hytech2k

Hytech2k Veteran
    Builder

Welcome !! There is alot of good information here so read as much as you can before pulling the trigger..

Tekkski likes this.
  3. Tekkski

Tekkski New
    Builder

Thanks! Any obvious pitfalls or advice? It really seems like most this has already been figured out (minus tweaking of course) and the mounting/rail system seems really solid.

If you had to do it all over again would you go with the V-slot or for the money do you think there is a better solution out there? Whether that be ease of 'first build', precision,etc...

4. Hytech2k

Hytech2k Veteran
    Builder

Tekkski likes this.
  5. Tekkski

Tekkski New
    Builder

After reading up on some of the larger builds it looks like flex may be a problem. I'm considering 'going for broke' and building a 5x9 machine. I am able to work/weld/cut steel and was thinking of using 2x2x.120 rectangular tubing or possibly even 2x3x.120 with rack and pinion.

Do you have any experience with linear carriages like this: http://www.cncrouterparts.com/extended-linear-carriage-with-abec-7-bearings-p-35.html

They seem to work well in the videos. How are these compared to v-slot?

What is bringing this on:
    Recently I spoke with a neighbor who builds/fixes helicopters and small aircraft. He mentioned that if I could use the machine to route out some thin aluminium he would be able to throw a lot of work my way. He also would have a need for wood and plastics. This would be awesome because anytime a project/habbit has a potential to offset the cost.... it makes the wife VERY happy!

So having said all that I am concerned with flex. I have built stuff out of .120 steel and it is extremely strong but for now I am curious on the up/down side of using bearings riding on steel rather than v-slot. Sorry for the novel btw. Thank again in advance for your help.

#5 Tekkski, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  6. Hytech2k

Hytech2k Veteran
    Builder

Honestly, if your looking to go that big on a DIY machine I would look at the Joes EVO, it's a much stiffer machine. If you look at my profile page that what I use for my larger stuff I have a 5x9 extending it shortly to a 5x11 machine... Steel V bearings riding on hardened v rail or linear rails is the way to go for a machine that large. I assume cutting parts for aircraft the machine would need to have good repeat ability and precision to accurately place rivet holes and such.

Just my honest opinion......

7. Tekkski

Tekkski New
    Builder

I'll look into the Joes EVO now. Thanks

8. Hytech2k

Hytech2k Veteran
    Builder

No problem.... If you have any questions feel free to ask... Been using my EVO for about 2 years now...