Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Help with number of Build Issues & uncertainties

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Stuart Knox, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Stuart Knox

Builder

Hi Guys I’m in need of a bit of help & advice here I have been building an OX machine I got from Robocutters 4 axis 1200mm x 1200mm mounting a Makita Router – I intend to use the CNC to cut wood & cardboard, I’ve bought a special Donek Tools dragknife tool, from the states but I’m also interested in doing carving.

After a bit of a long protracted build with the ‘kit’ I got the mechanics tested had a smoking board ! that has burnt out the A axis diodes & capacitors. After some trawling of forums I’ve decided the controller was cheap rubbish and have endevoured to invest in some better controllers, drivers & if necessary motors. I have a number of Q’s

Mechanics – is the machine robust enough for what I want to use it for ? I planning to build a vacuum bed http://donektools.com/cnc-basics-tutorials/ Which I assume will provide a pretty stable work surface when clamped to the OX rails. but any advice on clamping the CNC and work pieces down would be most welcome as I have little experience of this

Electronics & motors – any advice or even just a nudge in the right direction to controller, drivers & motors – From trawling forums again £6-700 pounds would appear to be realistically what one has to spend

Computer hardware – I managed to get the burnt out controller running on A virtual 32bit version of Windows 7 on a macbookpro using a UC100 usb adapter – this is ideal – I’m prepared to invest in this as well ideally a laptop & USB any advice here ? I’m running a licenced v of Mach 3 – I’ve had varying advice on using LPT ports/ usb adapters

Anyone live in & around north oxfordshire I could really do with a buddy for this !

Attached Files:

2. offtrolley

Builder

Hi Stuart,
    what board were you using that got burnt out?
    I'm in much the same position as you. Mechanics done, dead board, but trying to decide which way to go with better quality electronics.
    I am leaning towards having individual drivers as opposed to an integrated single board.

Been looking at:
    4 axis MK2 controller at http://www.planet-cnc.com/index.php?page=shop
    TB6600 single axis controller at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CNC-Singl...ial_Automation_Control_ET&hash=item4adb474346

This video from Planet CNC is very informative:
    Part 1:
    Part 2:

3. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Hi Stuart.
    I agree with Offtrolley with regard to Drivers and Controller. After you have watched the Video on the setting up of the Steppers, check out these motors:

https://www.motioncontrolproducts.co.uk/sections/2/stepper-motors/

They are well priced, and considering I looked all around the World, and found these just down the road from me in Bournemouth, I thought that was a good omen. You need to look at Nema 23's really, for the torque, and any future demands, you may need. I've gone for the larger Nema, but go to the tech information below the pictures, and with the knowledge you now have on wiring up steppers, you can see how many wires you are dealing with, and why, and how many Amps you are going to be pulling through the Drivers in that format. That's why the TB6600 is a good buy, because of it's power handling.
    See the Thread on Drivers.

Gray

offtrolley likes this.